cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't install software on my mac for new rebel t5

karenb20
Apprentice

I am trying to install the software on my mac for my rebel t5. Computer is telling me it's not compatible with operating system. 

32 REPLIES 32

I recently installed the Canon software from the CD to my iMac running OS X Sierra.  There were no issues during the installation.  

A day after installing, my computer started freezing after going into sleep mode.  After re-starting, it opened showing the Canon updater open, as well as the app trying to find the camera.  I wound up deleting all the Canon apps and their associated files.  I have had no issues with the computer since.

i won't generalize based on my own experience, but my impression is that the Canon app can be flaky with at least the latest iteration of OS X.  Others have had no issues, but I won't try installing it again.

"Canon Updater"?  I'm not aware of anything like that.  

The support page for your camera does should have the latest versions of all associated Canon software for your camera (e.g. EOS Utility and Digital Photo Professional are the most commonly used tools but there are several others.). These programs do not automatically check for updates.  

If you connect a Canon camera to the mac then the computer will normally attempt to auto-launch software to handle the camera.  You get to choose if this happens and what it launches.   My own mac is configured to not launch anything at all... because I have several different programs that I might want to launch depending on which camera I'm connecting and what sort of data is on the camera -- so I prefer to just manually launch whatever I need.

The most universal way to control this is to launch Apple's "Image Capture" utility.  Connect the camera via USB.  You should see the camera model appear in the left margin (it'll take a moment to determine the model).  

Next, in the extreme lower left corner of the window is a tiny icon of a triangle pointing up... click that it and it opens the application preference associated with the camera.   You'll see a selection labeled "Conneccting this camera opens:" with a selection box.  You can use the selection box to choose what the mac should do when the camera is connected.  Mine is set to "No application" (it wont launch anything - I'll manually launch whatever I need to use.)

This is an OS setting (not an application setting).  However.... it is device specific.  So if you own more than one camera, then you'd have to connect each camera to pick the setting.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

""Canon Updater"?  I'm not aware of anything like that.  "

After moving the application suite to trash, I searched for other Canon files.  That's where I found that file, along with several others that remained after deleting the associated applications.

I don't think you understand. I've spent the past 48 hours trying to figure out what this screenshot means. All I want is for someone to tell me what "NG" means, and how to get it to say "OK" instead so I can actually use this piece of equipment that I paid far too much for to begin with.

Screenshot (74).png

This discussion is about errors encountered on a Mac with OS X.  Why not try starting a new thread about Windows 10?

Well, I suppose in my frustration, I didn't really think about that. Though, of all the digging I've been doing online, it seems as if not a single person is encountering the same problem that I am. No one can explain anything, or answer any questions because I can't find any threads on Windows 10 Installations problems. I can't even find anything on YouTube, of all places. So I just jumped to the first thread found that was related to my problem.

What do the Windows error logs (System and Application) say?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend
Jhansen2016 - give Canon a call at 1-800-OK-CANON.
John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

jhansen2016
Contributor
Thank you. I will.

jhansen2016
Contributor
RobertTheFat Honestly, I haven't received any error logs. I install the applications using the disk, and right before the final step, where it shows all the software installed, each individual application from Photo Stitch to EOS Utility, has an "NG" acronym next to. What that means, I've no clue.
Announcements