cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to download from Digital Rebel to iPad

edu_con
Apprentice

How do I download from my digital Rebel (one of the originals using a CF card) to my ipad when I am travelling?

3 REPLIES 3

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

The origianl "Digital Rebel" is _very_ old.  Apple makes a camera connection kit which offers two options which work with many cameras.

One option supports transfer for cameras that use an "SD" card.  The connector dongle has a card slot and users can remove the card from the camera and insert it into the SD reader.  BUT... as the original Digital Rebel uses a CF card and not an SD card, that option wont work for you.

The other option supports transfers for _most_ cameras that can attach via a USB cable.  The Apple connector dongle has a USB plug on it and you use the standard USB cable that came with the camera.  

That 2nd option *may* actually work for you.  I'm wondering if you tried it.  I say "may" work because your camera is fairly old so it may not be supported by Apple.

Incidnetally, the Apple iPad Camera Connection Kit comes in two flavors... one has the 30-pin "dock" type connector, the newer model has the new "Lightning" connector now in use by Apple's newer iPads and iPhones.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Thanks for this Tim.  I'll give it a try and see how it goes.  I got so wrapped up in using the CF card directly that I forgot about the USB connection.

Laurence

My 5D II body only uses CF cards, so I have to use the USB option to transfer images to my iPad.  

Also... it is only practical for JPEG imges.  RAW images often have a JPEG thumbnail "preview" image embedded in them which the iPad can parse and view.  So if I import RAW images into my iPad, I see the thumbnails.  This fools you into thinking the iPad supports RAW images.  But but the full image cannot be loaded because the iPad does not understand how to read the full RAW image data (but can parse the embedded JPEG preview.)  But if I shoot in JPEG, it reads everything fine.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements