cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you get those crisp vivid colors when taking photos?

cavaliermom
Apprentice

I had a point and shoot that had the "vivid" color option and I want to be able to create photos with my t4i that look just as crisp and have vivid colors....any instructions?

5 REPLIES 5

Skirball
Authority

I'm sure Canon has something similar under the Picture Style menu; whether they call it Vivid, or Punch, or Pizzaz, I don't know.  You can also custom set your saturations, contrast, etc.

Alternately, you can try shooting in RAW and doing your modifications in post, that way you're not stuck with what you have if you overdid the colors.

morrisrc
Apprentice

custom set your saturation, contrast, etc.

Takes a little digging but beyond the several pre-programmed settings are a few (4) on my EOS Rebel Xsi 'personal' settings. They allow increasing your saturation, brightness, contrast, etc.
Experiment with different settings till you get what you like.
My Xsi actually produced pics almost one f-stop overexposed.
I run mine a 2/3 an f-stop under expose ALL the time!
My default personal setting is ALWAYS enabled. This gives me nice, rich photos consistently.

ronpete
Contributor

I just recently transitioned from using P&S (point & shoot) cameras to a T4i. I'm not new to photography, been taking pics since I was a kid, 'bout 40+ yrs ago. I started shooting digital with HP's little Photosmart 320, then used several of Sony's like the Mavica FD 91, and finally Kodak's P880. What's all this got to do with anything? This... I've found out I must do a lot of research and educating myself. So I've found tons and tons of learning material on the internet, and the one I've been using the most is B & H Photo Video. They have a remarkable amount of learning material, like video presentations by the big name pros. You really want to learn about your camera and how to get the best shots, go to YouTube, and search for;

• B&H Photo Video Pro Audio, Event Space
  • Jeff Cable
  • Brian Smith
  • Rudy Winston--- He is Canon's Expert, knows Canon cameras inside and out.

Learn about Lighting/Flash, shadows..

• Erik Valind
  • Syl Arena (Speedlites), very knowledgable on lighting.

Those are a few to get you started. I've found that picking up just a litle from each have really helped out. Oh and on YouTube search for Canon EOS T4i and you'll find several on how to use it, and where all these settings are, how to setup custom settings.

EOS 70D / EOS Rebel t4i / EF-S 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 IS II / EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS II / Sigma 17-50 f2.8/ Canon EF-S 60mm f2.8 macro/ Canon EF 100mm f2.8 macro/ Tamron 70-300mm / 430EX II Speedlite / Canon FS 300
Canon Pixma MG 3100 / Canon LiDE 2100
Adobe Lightroom 4, Canon DPP, Corel Paintshop Pro X4

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

cavaliermom,

in photography there is usually several ways to accomplish an end.

By far the most versatile is shooting RAW and post process the pictures.

Some version of Elements may have come with your camera. I would suggest you get up close and personal with it.

I would venture to say 99.9% of all the great photos you see by the "pros" are post processed.

Otherwise, you should be able to set up custom settings in your camera. Check your manual for the exact details for doing so.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

cavaliermom
Apprentice

Thanks everyone...will try it all!!!

Announcements