cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I reset the EOS Rebel SL1 to factory settings? There is no reset under any of the wrenches.

PJM
Apprentice

I've searched for the reset, read and watched video intructions but my camera does not have a "clear settings" under ANY of the menu features. My menu consists of 2 camera, 2 arrow, and 3 wrench icons.   It is different from any I've seen in books or online.  I'd appreciate any guidance.  Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Put it in P mode. The menus are greatly simplified in green square.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

What mode are you in when you search the menus? Some options vanish when you're in one of the automatic modes. Be sure you're in "M" mode and search again.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Put it in P mode. The menus are greatly simplified in green square.

THANK YOU!   THANK YOU!   And thank you for explaining.  I had no idea the menu changed with settings and I very much appreciate the quick follow-up. 

so what was the solution?  I need to reset my camera as well.  I saw earlier posts and one said put it in M and another said P, which was the right one?  Am I looking for Clear Settings?

I am looking to reset factory defaults, and I am worried if I hit Clear Settings that things will disappear that I don't want to disappear.

Thank you

Patricia

@kaecha wrote:

so what was the solution?  I need to reset my camera as well.  I saw earlier posts and one said put it in M and another said P, which was the right one?  Am I looking for Clear Settings?

I am looking to reset factory defaults, and I am worried if I hit Clear Settings that things will disappear that I don't want to disappear.

Thank you

Patricia

What settings are you worried about losing?  Write them down, so that you can remember them.  

The camera has to types of shooting modes, Basic and Creative.  The Basic modes are automatic modes.  As such, the camera sets the exposure for you, for different shooting scenarios.  Because nearly everything is set for you in Basic shooting modes, the menu options are somewhat limited.

The Creative shooting modes allow the photographer more freedom in setting the exposure, and other camera settings.  The menus are not limited, as they are in Basic shooting modes.  The Creative shooting modes are M, P, Av, and Tv.  Setting any of those shooting modes, allows the camera to display the full range of menu options, except for Movie options.  To see the Movie options, the camera must be in Movie shooting mode.

BTW, what problem are you having with your camera that needs or requires a reset to factory defaults.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I usually just use the pre-set modes, like the Sport, Flower (close macro), etc. and one day they won't work for me.  Only works in Manual mode and when I do manage to get it to what looks focused in the view finder, when I take the photo and move it to my computer I see it's not actually focused.

I don't know what I did to make it do this but I just thought if I could get it back to factory defaults it would be like it was.

Patricia

I watched a youtube video and got it figured out.  Working perfectly now.  It was a total "operator" error!  

Me or someone else using the camera switched the lens to Manual (MF) which is on where the lens is attached, right above the Stabilizer.  So relieved.  I really like this camera.

Thanks everyone and thanks to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1l06mwvanA, Toby Gelston of PhotoRec TV on youtube for educating us about this camera.  SO informative.

Patricia

@kaecha wrote:

I usually just use the pre-set modes, like the Sport, Flower (close macro), etc. and one day they won't work for me.  Only works in Manual mode and when I do manage to get it to what looks focused in the view finder, when I take the photo and move it to my computer I see it's not actually focused.

I don't know what I did to make it do this but I just thought if I could get it back to factory defaults it would be like it was.

Patricia

Glad you figured it out.  When the camera locks focus, does the image look sharp and focused to you, too?  If you wear eyeglasses or contact lenses, it may not look focused when the camera says it is.

There is an adjustment on the viewfinder [diopter adjustment] to adjust the image so that a focused image appears focused to your eyes, too.  Check your manual for the exact location, but there should be tiny wheel behind the right side of the rubber eyecup.  The tiny thumb wheel is the diopter adjustment.  If you do not have a manual, you can download a copy from Canon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements