cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I avoid getting white eyes on subjects when I am shooting in Auto in auditoriums.

dexter
Apprentice

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

There's no mode to change that, it's physics.  Light comes off of camera, into eyes, back into lens.  The light you're referring to are called catchlights, and people go through a lot of trouble and spend a lot of money to have good catchlights for potraits.  Most agree that you want a catchlight of some sort.

Now, I'm assuming that you're using the camera's flash?  You know when you see a photographer with some big silly flash stuck on his camera that looks awkward and funny?  That's why they use that, the whole point is to get the flash as far away from the axis of the lens as possible.  For real portraiture you completely remove the flash from the camera (or most of it anyway), but if you're doing banquet you don't have a choice.

Long story short, if you need the flash in order to get the exposure, and you don't have a dedicated flash unit, there's nothing you can do.  You can try one of those cheap diffusers people put over their camera flashes, but those are mostly gimmicky.  If you're serious about doing indoor shooting, I highly recommend getting a flash.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ScottyP
Authority
I think you mean the red eye reflection from flash? That comes when using on board flash at someone looking at the camera.

You can avoid by not using flash, or by bouncing a speedlite flash off the ceiling and down onto your subject, or by getting the flash unit off of the camera using a cord or a radio trigger so reflection angles and the eye reflections don't go right into the lens.

If none of that is an option you can fix the red eye in post processing.
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

No, I didn't mean the red eye reflection.  The eyes of the person I am taking a picture of, actually have "flash"

reflection on their eyes. The eyes themselves seem to be bright orbits of light. I have tried using my editing

software which comes with my Window 7 software, but the eyes cannot be fixed.

This usually occurs when I am shooting indoors especially at banquets where the lighting isn't always the

best.

I realize that their are many settings that can be adjusted in the Manuel mode, but I am not that experienced.

Any  suggestions would be appreciated. 

There's no mode to change that, it's physics.  Light comes off of camera, into eyes, back into lens.  The light you're referring to are called catchlights, and people go through a lot of trouble and spend a lot of money to have good catchlights for potraits.  Most agree that you want a catchlight of some sort.

Now, I'm assuming that you're using the camera's flash?  You know when you see a photographer with some big silly flash stuck on his camera that looks awkward and funny?  That's why they use that, the whole point is to get the flash as far away from the axis of the lens as possible.  For real portraiture you completely remove the flash from the camera (or most of it anyway), but if you're doing banquet you don't have a choice.

Long story short, if you need the flash in order to get the exposure, and you don't have a dedicated flash unit, there's nothing you can do.  You can try one of those cheap diffusers people put over their camera flashes, but those are mostly gimmicky.  If you're serious about doing indoor shooting, I highly recommend getting a flash.

Thank you.

Also would be great if you have some sample photos. You can crop the rest except for the eyes.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Weekend Travelers Blog | Eastern Sierra Fall Color Guide
Announcements