cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get my computer to recognize the canon eos digital rebel

Ronx
Contributor

I have not used this camera for more than 2 years.  I now have a laptop with windows 7.  This computer will not recognize this camera when I plug it in to usb to download pictures.  I have tried everything except what is going to work.

29 REPLIES 29

@drgoochmobile wrote:

And where does one find this communication setting?

This thread is 2 yrs old, good luck getting an answer

That suggestion worked like a charm.  Thank You very much!!

Thank you!!!!!! I was just having this exact same issue with my Rebel XT on W10EOS Utility 2 I couldn't get the program to recognize my camera. As soon as  I changed my communucation settings to Print/PTP, VOILA!!! camera instantly recognized.

The Canon website says no drivers are required for this camera for W10, but my computer which has W10 digresses and says yes, a driver is required. So hopefully Canon and Microsoft can get their act together and fix this for good.

Jakemup
Contributor

I am having what sounds like the same issue. Additionally I am very computer/technologically illiterate. 

My computer (windows 7) does not recognize that the camera is attached with t he provided USB cable. Auto run does not pop-up.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software I have tried to add devices and pretty much all other suggestions.

I am at wits end, Please help.

@Jakemup wrote:

I am having what sounds like the same issue. Additionally I am very computer/technologically illiterate. 

My computer (windows 7) does not recognize that the camera is attached with t he provided USB cable. Auto run does not pop-up.  I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software I have tried to add devices and pretty much all other suggestions.

I am at wits end, Please help.

What model of Rebel?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

When Windows or OS X will not recognize a particular camera model, isn't it much simpler to just import the photos with a card reader for either the CF or SD card being used?  That is such an easy way to import images, I don't understand why so many people spend so much time trying to get older model cameras to download directly to their computers.

I am not being sarcastic or critical, I just think the simplest solution is usually the best.

I thought maybe it was just me who thought the same thing. I got hooked on using a card reader from back when I got my Powershot A20 and I've never looked back. Maybe downloading from the camera makes more sense if you're working from a laptop away from home but I've always been dowloading to my desktop.

I've seen where some users were concerned about wear or damage to the card contacts in the camera body but if you take a little care and pay attention when inserting the card you'd probably never have an issue. Though I can imagine there are a few folks who tend to blindly slam the card into the slot like they were putting their debit card into an ATM. I could see a problem with that approach.

@StanNH wrote:

When Windows or OS X will not recognize a particular camera model, isn't it much simpler to just import the photos with a card reader for either the CF or SD card being used?  That is such an easy way to import images, I don't understand why so many people spend so much time trying to get older model cameras to download directly to their computers.

I am not being sarcastic or critical, I just think the simplest solution is usually the best.

I agree, but downloading images isn't the only benefit to using EOS Utility. When I was using my cameras at work, I'd use EOSU to swap the copyright notice between work and home (much less tedious than typing it in each time). And I use it to synchronize the time on my cameras (and my wife's), so that the aggregated images will sort in the right order.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Terrimb
Apprentice
SAME FOR ME. on my computer, it identifies my Canon 20D as; Agfa...???!!?!! WTH???!!!?!!

@Terrimb wrote:
SAME FOR ME. on my computer, it identifies my Canon 20D as; Agfa...???!!?!! WTH???!!!?!!

If you identified your camera as the Agfa, that is what Windows will look for. On Win. 8.1 and Win. 10, that shouldn't happen. MicroSoft did put out an update for camera identification, but I don't know if Vista or Win 7 got that update.

I do believe you can go into HARDWARE and update your camera. It might just be easier to use a card reader. 

Announcements