cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having Problems with new T6i

pulse01
Contributor

bought it a month and a week ago So im going out of town soon and dont wanna have to send in the camera and not have it with me for the trip...
i called suppot, the person i talked to didnt really seem to have any but to send it in.

this has been happening for a few days now maybe a week... so randomly while taking photos i got a Busy Signal... the screen was black and the busy could be seen in the View Finder also the Red Blinking Light was now a Solid red light... so i wait a while and nothing happens.. i switch it off, and now the screen is no longer black but says "Busy Recording Remaining Images" for hours... finally i just pull the battery.  ( i do not do video i only take photos )

This happens at random sometimes OVER and OVER even after pulling the battery, it will star back up like there is no problem i can hold the button down slightly and it will focus but then you click and.. i have to wait and see if its going to work or lock up again...

i had a (Patriot) Micro SD card with an Addapter that worked for a Month with no problems its a Class 10 
i thought maybe its the fact that it has an addapter... so i go out and buy a new (Sandisk) SD card Class 10 also
take a few pics and boom, same thing.

(i have re-flashed cards and reset the setting countless times at this point) 
I would pull the battery, re-insert the memory card and still sometimes at random it would do it again

i have removed the battery, removed and bought a new SD card, i have removed the lens and switched to others... i have had the isseu with the 50mm (old plastic one with AF) and the 24mm STM, and the 18-55mm kit Lens.

im shooting in RAW, and i dont know if that requires maybe a even BETTER card? but i should note that it has happened in jpeg too... im running out of ideas and im hoping at the very least you guys can give me some more things to try....

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR HELP!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Shipped it to Canon! thank you all for the help!

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

It is good to hear that you abandoned the micro-SD card.  Their adapters are notoriously unreliable.  What is the memory capacity of your full size SD card.  When it comes to SD cards, bigger is not always better, and neither is faster.

BTW, beware of buying memory cards from eBay and Amazon.  Not every seller is reputable.  

I think the advice of sending your camera to a service center is a good idea.  What use will the camera be on your trip if it is not working?  If the camera still acts up without a lens attached, or without a memory card inserted, send it in.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"i called suppot, the person i talked to didnt really seem to have any but to send it in."       

I am afraid the Canon rep was correct.  Send it in.  Your post lists a pretty complete trouble shooting exercise and about all you can do.  Send it in today.

"i had a (Patriot) Micro SD card with an Addapter that worked for a Month with no problems ..."

This isn't your issue but I don't recommend using the adapters and tiny SD cards.  The big problem is they do work and will work until suddenly they don't.  Don't trust them.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

pulse01
Contributor

Having to send it in is looking like the thing im going to have to do also but i do have 2 questions.

How do i know the memory capacity of the SD Card?

and the other one is how can a lens cause a busy signal ? 

also just making sure the T6i has no new firmware? i looked on the website and nothing comes up just making sure im not doing something wrong 

Also thank you guys for helping!

"also just making sure the T6i has no new firmware?"

I don't know why you asked this but firmware is not your problem.  Did you try to do a firmware update that didn't go well?

"How do i know the memory capacity of the SD Card?"

It is marked on the SD card.

".. how can a lens cause a busy signal ?"

It most likely is not the lens. But I suppose a lens that has an electronic failure could cause problems in the camera like 'busy'.  It is after all just and electronic circuit that is completed by both.  But this statement eliminates the lens(s).

" i have had the isseu with the 50mm (old plastic one with AF) and the 24mm STM, and the 18-55mm kit Lens."

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

@pulse01wrote:

(i have re-flashed cards and reset the setting countless times at this point) 
I would pull the battery, re-insert the memory card and still sometimes at random it would do it again

Have you in fact performed a LOW LEVEL FORMAT of the full size SD card IN THE CAMERA?

pulse01
Contributor

I did not try to install firmware i just did a search, if its a software problem since its so random i decided to check and see if there was any info and or maybe a update to the software.

I wanna say that yes i did, but i cant remember if on the full fized SD card if i did that or just regular i will do that now.

also the SD card is " SanDisk 16gb, Ultra PLUS, 80mb/s,SDHC, Class 10, U1 "
its small but i bought it just to test.    does that thing seem ok for what im using it for ? or do i need a 95mb/s and u2 ?

i used it to test again last ngiht and it worked fine... put it away and im going to preform a low level format now and see how it goes then ill post back here

so after the low level format it instanly stopped working again.... but i remembered in while out one i could turn it off and take out the memory card to force it to shut off i then would flip the screen open and close and it would sometimes work...

i thought maybe i was just tricking my self into thinking that was fixing somthing becasue shortly after that worked a few times it happened again and this time it would not fix the problem... how ever just now i got the same problem

turned it off to see  the same saving remaining images error, switched it off flipped the screen over to the left turned it over and back to the potion that i could see the screen again, then i took andother image and it worked... i dont understand 

maybe somthing is lose in the screens swivle? would that stop a image from saving though ? im so confused lol

pulse01
Contributor

Going to ship it out today but, ihave noticed now that it will let me take photos if i do the camera flipping thing and turning it back on, as long as i use the view finder sometimes it still happens when i use the view finder as stated above it never shows the 2 second image preview it just locks up... well i decided to and test live view and take a image, and it simply will not work it locks up evry time i try to take a photo in live view 

@pulse01wrote:

Going to ship it out today but, ihave noticed now that it will let me take photos if i do the camera flipping thing and turning it back on, as long as i use the view finder sometimes it still happens when i use the view finder as stated above it never shows the 2 second image preview it just locks up... well i decided to and test live view and take a image, and it simply will not work it locks up evry time i try to take a photo in live view 

And you've checked to make sure that the slide-on eyepiece isn't interfering with the sensor that turns the screen off when your face is near the eyepiece? That sometimes happens, and the symptoms can be similar to what you describe.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements