cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Freelancing: Just starting out

KingDome
Contributor

About me: I do photography as a hobby. I have never sold any of my work. I have love photography and love landscape and out door pics. I have taken thousands of pics of my two kids sports. My oldest is in third year of collage. Youngest in 7th grade. I have been elected be the photographer of my daughters middle school tennis matches just to get a few pics for yearbook and give away pics to parents and make a music video for banquet.

The Idea: I want to start freelancing for high school sports.  I did it for one lady for baseball and did not charge her anything, just to see if I could deliver.  It was a great experience.  I use a Canon T1i with a 70-200L 2.8  Also have a 70-300 4-5.6 is.  It take good shots in sun light.

Instead of shooting the whole team. Hire my self out to a parent to shoot as many shots of there kid in one game for a flat price. They would be getting more pics and better action shots and I would not be just getting a cut from the web site. I will touch up, using gimp right now and give the pics to them on a small drive in raw. Then they can do what ever they want to with the pics.  It just seems easier for every body.
Or am I missing something
Thanks for you time.

Pricing: Thought about starting out with this deal.

$50.00 to shoot one game.

That is 40.00 to retain my services, up front, none refundable and $10.00 for the best top 20 images. (.50 per image)

.25 for any images' after that.

You never know, they might want all 450 inages that I have taken. lol

I sort of based that on this woman was paying $1.50 for one 4x6. I know a lot of yall might think that is low and that I am low balling my self. But I am just starting out and I am my biggest critic. But that is 50 dollars plus, for a night at the ball park and go home and clean up 20 images'.

I don't know maybe 1.00 per image and .50 for image after.

What do you think.

Thanks DAVY

11 REPLIES 11

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"So I think I have something to offer."

This feeling is all you need.  So go for it.

Well said.

"Nonsense.  The school can ask you to leave, ..."

I see you have little to no experience with school districts.  It will not be the school that invites you to leave but the SRO.

Plus you would never step on to the field in the first place.   A school is not a "public place" within the meaning of the law.

Now it may be trested differently where you live but that is how it is in Kansas.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements