cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First timer needing pointers

miraclemar
Apprentice

I'm currently using an older powershot(purchased last May, refurbished, not sure of model) It's fine for day to day things, but I am looking for more. My SO is very involved in dirt track racing. We're there from 3pm-2am next morning usually. I want to be able to shoot photos for personal and advertisement purposes. I have been considering the T6, but I did more digging and the T5i seems to be pretty much the same. I'll be working in low light(there's bright LCD light poles scattered across two tracks) Im still very confused with ISO and aparture settings(any settings really.) 

My questions would be: I want an entry level camera that will help me progress and learn, without me having to upgrade too quickly(also on a budget) I like the price of the T6 more, but which woud be a better investment considering the main thing I'll be photographing?

Can anyone try to break down all of the settings and uses for them? I know I'll have to play around to get the results I'm looking for, but I'm not sure where to start right now.

And lenses. What I can best understand is that I'll need a lense with a longer focal length. I'll be photographing go karts reaching speeds up to about 80mph. I'll most likely shoot from about 50-150 feet away from the action.

Hopefully this isnt too difficult to get the gist of. I just need some pointers before I decide to spend the money on any certain model/lenses. Thanks!!

13 REPLIES 13

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Sometimes cheaper is expensive! Smiley Wink

True.  Buying something "for the time being" usually winds up being a waste.  

Some things just do not fit within a narrow budget.  Save up for better gear than a T6, IMHO.  You need high shutter speeds for action photography, which can frequently mean ISO values over 800, sometimes as high as 6400.  A narrow aperture consumer lens, will only translate into even higher ISO settings, which means high noise with a T6.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

miraclemar
Apprentice
****let me condense the post a little more. I always confuse or give too much info ahaha
I'm just looking for a setup that will help me produce nicer photos than my current point and shoot can. I'd like to stay in the Rebel price range(don't wanna spend more than $800 total if possible, so I'll most likely be buying refurbished) I've considered all in the T6 line. WiFi and Bluetooth aren't a big factor; Id rather not have to pay for something I won't use. I want to have nicer photos to help with getting sponsorships(I feel a more professional presentation could help us out with that) So, staying in the Rebel line up, where can I get the most bang for my buck? It's a small track and I'll be shooting from the fence so anywhere from 100-500ft at eye level and sometimes from about 20ft up in the watchtower. I guess I'd would be needing the most help with deciding on a lens. I have zero experience with anything other than smartphone and point and shoot cameras. Sorry for the confusion!

@miraclemar wrote:
****let me condense the post a little more. I always confuse or give too much info ahaha
I'm just looking for a setup that will help me produce nicer photos than my current point and shoot can. I'd like to stay in the Rebel price range(don't wanna spend more than $800 total if possible, so I'll most likely be buying refurbished) I've considered all in the T6 line. WiFi and Bluetooth aren't a big factor; Id rather not have to pay for something I won't use. I want to have nicer photos to help with getting sponsorships(I feel a more professional presentation could help us out with that) So, staying in the Rebel line up, where can I get the most bang for my buck? It's a small track and I'll be shooting from the fence so anywhere from 100-500ft at eye level and sometimes from about 20ft up in the watchtower. I guess I'd would be needing the most help with deciding on a lens. I have zero experience with anything other than smartphone and point and shoot cameras. Sorry for the confusion!

Well, your posts were all over the place and this one is no exception. You ask for recomendations on camera rigs, hoping that a more "professional presentation" will help you get "sponsorships," then at the end say that you need the most help picking a lens and that you have "zero experience with anything other than smartphone and point and shoot cameras"

I'm going to be brutally honest, because you're going to get umpteen replies recommending all sorts of lenses and cameras and will end up more confused than you are right now. 

At thiis poinnt you don't need anythng more than a refurbished Canon Rebel kit of some kind. The T6 or a bit above would be fine.

Focus (haha) more on learning dSLR photography. Buy some books, sign up for a course at your local community college, enroll in an online course, and get out there and SHOOT.  Because the best gear in the world won't do you any good if you don't know what you're doing. And believe it or not, having a great lens won't help you if you don't know anything about composition or how to control the camera. 

Oh, and download and study the full manual, no matter what you buy. Good luck. 

@miraclemar wrote:

My opinion is start with a T5 or T6 and a EF 70-300 4-5.6 IS lens*. You will probably have sufficient change to also get a shorter zoom, such as a, EF-S 18-55 IS. This will be a starter kit for DSLR and you should need to remember that. What you save in money you lose in quality and advanced functions. 

This should be sufficient to get some decent shots. As you become more experienced and adept with your camera, you will want to move up. That is fine. Everyone either starts at the bottom or has more money than brains. 

* - You might consider a Kit that would include the body and a lens or two. Although most kits include the EF-S 18-55 they sometimes also include a EF-S 55-250 IS. The EF-S is lighter than the standard EF lens, but is a base lens. For your initial requirements though it may be enough. 

A word of warning on buying on line. Do your homework. Many shops are selling grey market cameras. They offer a great price, but will try to upsell you on the battery, and some other essentials. Canon USA will not register them or honor their warranty. Do a review search first to read how bad they really are. The Canon Store is reputable, but there are many others that are quality stores too. Amazon is not on my list but your opinion may differ.  WalMart's online store stands behind their merchandise. Others include B&H, Adoma, and KEH. There are others as well.

Another place to look would be in any large city, look for a brick and mortar camera store with a line of second hand bodies and lenses. Their staff are also helpful. They may be able to outfit you with what you need for an affordable price.

Good luck and enjoy your new hobby.

Announcements