cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First timer needing pointers

miraclemar
Apprentice

I'm currently using an older powershot(purchased last May, refurbished, not sure of model) It's fine for day to day things, but I am looking for more. My SO is very involved in dirt track racing. We're there from 3pm-2am next morning usually. I want to be able to shoot photos for personal and advertisement purposes. I have been considering the T6, but I did more digging and the T5i seems to be pretty much the same. I'll be working in low light(there's bright LCD light poles scattered across two tracks) Im still very confused with ISO and aparture settings(any settings really.) 

My questions would be: I want an entry level camera that will help me progress and learn, without me having to upgrade too quickly(also on a budget) I like the price of the T6 more, but which woud be a better investment considering the main thing I'll be photographing?

Can anyone try to break down all of the settings and uses for them? I know I'll have to play around to get the results I'm looking for, but I'm not sure where to start right now.

And lenses. What I can best understand is that I'll need a lense with a longer focal length. I'll be photographing go karts reaching speeds up to about 80mph. I'll most likely shoot from about 50-150 feet away from the action.

Hopefully this isnt too difficult to get the gist of. I just need some pointers before I decide to spend the money on any certain model/lenses. Thanks!!

13 REPLIES 13

There are lots of options, I guess. But in the best of all worlds (without going financially berserk), you'd want a refurbished (not "used") 80D and a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II lens.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If you wish to shoot sports, then the T6, and the rest of the Rebel lineup will leave you wanting.  Although, the newest Rebel T7i seems like it could have the potential to handle fast action sports, I think only an experienced user will be successful with it.  In other words, it will take some practice, and the learning curve will be steep.

Look at the camera bodies that have ##D model numbers.  I think the 80D would be your best choice, because it is the best buy in the Canon DSLR lineup.  It is a camera for enthusiasts, and will be hard to outgrow.  It is fully capable of giving you near professional results.  While a more complex camera, the learning curve may not be as steep, due to the more sophisticated AF modes.

Of course, the second part of the equation is the lens.  You cannot go wrong with a Canon "L" Series lens.  The lenses have robust builds, and remarkable image quality.  Some of the telephoto zooms have IS mode switches, which compensate of shaky hands, or another mode to compensate for horizontal vertical panning.

As to which model, you cannot go wrong with a 70-200mm lens,   There are four models to choose from in the "L" lineup.  Two with f/4 apertures, and two with f/2.8 apertures.  There is an f/4 without IS, and one with IS.  The same is true for the two f/2.8 models.  I recommend one of the f/2.8 models, if you can foot the bill.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Well before everybody solves your query, how about your budget?  It makes no sense to recommend gear you can't afford.

And, the second part of the equation is what type results or product do you want to end up with.  Big difference between nice shots and professional results.  I might add the most important part of any 'sports' action shooting is three things.  They are location, location and location.  With out knowing that nobody can say with any certainty what lens you need.

Also any or either of the newest Rebels, the T6i or T7i will shoot sports.  They do it everyday all accross the US of A.

A good package that will last you a long time (years and years) might be the T7i and EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  This is a killer outfit at around $1600 (new). It will be for your general photography.  It is much better than the standard Rebel 'kit'.  I really like the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens mostly for its constant and fast aperture.  The Rebel T7i has a lot of high end features.

Now for a bigger more specialized lens.  It is hard to not recommend the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Lens since it is the best lens made. Period, end of story!  But at 2 grand does it fit your budget?  If, yes, done deal.  You are go to go.  Enjoy. Smiley Happy

If we need to trim or you can handle a larger budget let us know.  A bigger budget might allow the 80D ($1100) or even better the 7D Mk II ($1500).  Tip, if you have to skimp don't do it with the lens.

I was in the photographer's pit at a Royals game and shot this with a XTi and a 100-400mm zoom.   They lost!

butler.jpg

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Mr_Fusion
Enthusiast

First, I suggest you look at the Canon Refurbished Store.

If a budget is your concern, I would look at the T7i first and T6i a close second. The 77D is also a good buy, but more expensive and the T6s is a good substitute. ANY of them would do a good job.

Any medium long lens would do fine.While the 70-200 are good, the 70-300 will do just as good but for a lot less. Also, Sigma and Tamron have some lenses in that range. The thing to remember is that all those cameras have a smaller, "cropped"  sensor. So multiple the numbers by 1.6 in order to get the equivelant 35mm range. 

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

Any medium long lens would do fine.While the 70-200 are good, the 70-300 will do just as good but for a lot less.

Have you ever used one of Canon 's current 70-200mm lenses?  I don't think you would describe them as "good", if you had.  The top of the line EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM never ceases to amaze me.  I thought I knew what "sharp lens" meant until I used that lens.  I would imagine the little brothers are almost as good.  

I would not be the first person to say that the EF 70-200mm is the sharpest lens in my bag. 

"I would not be the first person to say that the EF 70-200mm is the sharpest lens in my bag."

And I would not be the first person to say, what?  Smiley Surprised  You are kidding, "the 70-300 will do just as good."

EB

Again, you either didn't read the OP's post or you don't understand it. He wants a entry level camera to shoot a specific task. You want to sell him a Ferrari when a Malibu will do.  I do not believe selling someone more than they need is a good, or moral, move.

If once he gets familiar to the camera and wants to expand his horizons then great, but any "L" lens is not what he needs at this point. He is asking for suggestions to enter a hobby, not own what takes most photographers years to accumulate. The EF 70-200L is $1,950 in the Canon store. $1,300 at B&H.

And I am sure it is the sharpest lens in your bag. 

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

Again, you either didn't read the OP's post or you don't understand it. He wants a entery level camera to shoot a specific task. You want to sell him a Ferrari when a Malibu will do.  I do not believe selling someone more than they need is a good, or moral, move.

If once he gets familiar to the camera and wants to expand his horizons then great, but any "L" lens is not what he needs at this point. He is asking for suggestions to enter a hobby, not own what takes most photographers years to accumulate. The EF 70-200L is $1,950 in the Canon store. $1,300 at B&H.

And I am sure it is the sharpest lens in your bag. 

I will take that as no, you have never used one of Canon's 70-200mm.  You are quite the argumentative one, too.

I suggest that you learn to read the posts.  I had suggested the same body as you did.  As for as a lens goes, I suggested "any of the 70-200mm" lenses, which start at $600 for the EF 70-200mm f/4L USM.  Internal focusing and zooming.  No lens creep..

The OP expressed an interest in "advertising purposes".  The entry level 18MP cameras are too noisy at ISO 800, and higher.  I think the T6 is too noisy at ISO 400.  The 24.2 MP Rebels are just as bad, except at one ISO stop higher, ISO 800 and ISO 1600 are the limit when it comes to noise..  Like I said, the Rebels will leave one wanting.

With the exception of the latest EOS 77D, the ##D bodies are a much more solid build, and offer near professional grade performance and features like: built-in level; AFMA: beefier battery: better ISO performance, etc.  Why buy twice?  This is the best place to start for someone looking to upgrade to semi-professional work.

Yes, the OP suggested that they were on a tight budget.  But, some things cannot be done on a tight budget.  The OP asked for camera body, but a BETTER investment would be in quality lenses.  Buying the EF 70-200mm f/4L seems to be within the budget constraints, and a much more frugal investment than a feature-lacking camera body. 

A dirt race track environment is hostile to camera gear, BTW.  It demands sealed camera bodies and lenses.

Sometimes cheaper is expensive! Smiley Wink

EB
Announcements