cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First day questions...2

brian222
Contributor

Just getting back into cameras and got a very nice old Rebel XT with a 28-90 lens. I'll stick with that one until I learn more but at some point I'd like to get one more lens. Any suggestions? Mainly it will be outdoors..wildlife etc.

And I've heard about a card reader. Do I really need one?

Thanks.

22 REPLIES 22

@brian222 wrote:
do you mean the CF card is out of date...hard to find?

The problem, if any, is that cameras, particularly older cameras, are limited in how large a card they can accept. The technical details are beyond the scope of this discussion, but file formats change over time. Your challenge is to discover the card size and file format limitations of your camera and then find cards that conform. Check the user manual (Canon's Web site may have one if you don't), then search the camera stores and online vendors for card availability. You should be able to find what you need, but it may take some looking.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks for taking the time. I read the manual and it says 2 gb or larger. Doesn't say how large. If I have to I'll just get another 2 gb.

@brian222 wrote:
Thanks for taking the time. I read the manual and it says 2 gb or larger. Doesn't say how large. If I have to I'll just get another 2 gb.

Don't forget when that manual was written.  As Robert has already noted, the specifications of CF cards may have evolved since the camera was releasted.  Your camera may not know how to format a high capacity memory card. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@brian222 wrote:

Are you sure? "2 GB or larger" doesn't make much sense. When that camera was new, 2 GB was a pretty large card. I think the card that came with my XTi was less than 100 MB. And many (all?) old Rebels had a maximum size limit. If the manual really does say that, I'd be inclined to call Canon Support for clarification.

Bob

Specs. p.162. That's what it says. I will contact Canon.

Hey brian222!

Congratulations on your new purchase!

Keep in mind that this camera's been out for a little while, and the manual was written when the camera was first manufactured - back in 2005. A 2GB card was a big card back then! 

One of the nicer things about using a CF card is that the technology has been relatively stable over the years, so if you can find a card that's on the smaller side (as in under 32GB), it should be fine in your Rebel XT. Bear in mind, the camera wasn't designed to use cards this big, so the top LCD will read a continuous 999 photos remaining (until you actually get to below 999 photos remaining). 

We hope this helps, and if you have questions, let us know!

good to know. so a 16 gb should work? I notice that Sandisk has a Dual and an Extreme. Does it matter which I get?

Hello Brian222! 

The Rebel XT is compatible with a 16GB memory card. If the memory card is under 32GB it should work.

We hope this helps!

My cf card is a Sandisk Extreme. On their site most are called ULTRA. Is there a difference or did they just change the name?

@brian222 wrote:
My cf card is a Sandisk Extreme. On their site most are called ULTRA. Is there a difference or did they just change the name?

Check the write speeds. I think one is faster than the other.

Bob
Announcements