cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First day questions...2

brian222
Contributor

Just getting back into cameras and got a very nice old Rebel XT with a 28-90 lens. I'll stick with that one until I learn more but at some point I'd like to get one more lens. Any suggestions? Mainly it will be outdoors..wildlife etc.

And I've heard about a card reader. Do I really need one?

Thanks.

22 REPLIES 22

1. The EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

2. Yes.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Robert's suggestions are good, but you will be duplicating your focal length, albeit with a much better lens.

If you want to shoot wildlife far away, get the EF-S 55 - 250 STM zoom.

If you want wide angle "outdoor shots" get the EF-S 10-18 or the more expensive EF-S 10-22.

I have never had a need for an external card reader. My Macs have worked fine with a USB cable, and they have one built in if necessary - you might already have one.

@kvbarkley wrote:

I have never had a need for an external card reader. My Macs have worked fine with a USB cable, and they have one built in if necessary - you might already have one.

Brian's computer may well have a built-in card reader, but it will almost certainly read SD cards only, So whether it's useful or not will depend on which side of the Rebel line's CF-to-SD conversion the XT falls on. I don't know the answer off the top of my head, but I do know that the XTi took CF cards.

Bob

Rats, I keep forgetting early Rebels used CF cards.

brian222
Contributor
My card says Compact Flash. SanDisk Extreme 111 2.0gb.

@brian222 wrote:
My card says Compact Flash. SanDisk Extreme 111 2.0gb.

That's a CF card. You'll probably need a card reader other than the one that may be built into your Mac. But even good card readers aren't very expensive, and most of them will read any common variety of card.

Bob

thanks for that. BTW is 2gb enough or look for something bigger?

@brian222 wrote:

thanks for that. BTW is 2gb enough or look for something bigger?

Yes, probably so.  The problem moving forward is buying new cards with similar specifications.  For longer shoots, you may need multiple cards to store all of your shots.    

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

do you mean the CF card is out of date...hard to find?
Announcements