cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fill-in flash set up

mike21
Enthusiast

I have a Canon 700D plus a Speedlite 270EX. I want to use fill-in flash outside but find that SLR principles do not apply. I gather that 1/200 sec. is the fastest speed at which the flash will synchronise and ISO of 400 is the maximum possible; I want photos of people to appear natural with the background properly exposed but the subject also properly lit without the effect of standing out from an under-exposed background so often seen. What is the best setting for the camera, I thought using Tv mode with the shutter speed set to 1/200 and an ISO of 100, then a trial to see what aperture that produces, adjusting speed down or ISO up if the aperture is not acceptable – would this be the best procedure or should it just be set to automatic. None of the items I have read go into this detail – any advice or a link to an account doing so would be appreciated.

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

ScottyP
Authority

You can use high speed sync (HSS) mode and get a faster shutter speed though at reduced light output and higher battery drain. 

In modes other than full auto you can use flash exposure compensation and dial in a stop or so of negative flash exposure compensation.  It's like regular exposure compensation except it only affects flash output. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

Thank you all for your help. I have found the following article on the net which is helpful.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/fill_flash_use_EOS_article.shtml

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

ScottyP
Authority

You can use high speed sync (HSS) mode and get a faster shutter speed though at reduced light output and higher battery drain. 

In modes other than full auto you can use flash exposure compensation and dial in a stop or so of negative flash exposure compensation.  It's like regular exposure compensation except it only affects flash output. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks

Off topic, slightly.  You can use a reflector.  They come in several colors for different applications.  A round white one is a nice fill 'flash' alternative.  They also come in gold and silver for different looks.

The nice thing about using reflectors is you can see what you are doing. The ExpoImaging Rogue Collapsible 32" Reflector is a good start. It has white on one side and silver on the other.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BTW, for large groups you need large reflectors and possibly a couple assistants.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

No HSS on a 270.

Thank you all for your help. I have found the following article on the net which is helpful.

http://learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/fill_flash_use_EOS_article.shtml

Announcements