cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel XT Software

TopDrifter
Apprentice

My Canon EOS Rebel XT was purchased in 2006, back then my computer had Windows XP. I bought a new PC that is equipped with Windows 7.  The software for my camera don't work in Windows 7, I went to the Canon site and downloaded the updates for my camera and installed them on my PC and still cannot load my photos from my camera to the PC. I hate to think my $1000 plus camera system has been rendered somewhat useless because of a upgraded version of Windows.  Has anyone else had this problem, and what is the solution without going back to Windows XP?

Thank You

19 REPLIES 19

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

You should be able to access your camera through My Computer via USB. Save the photos to your hard drive and than try to edit or view them. You can do this without any Canon software.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Richard
Product Expert
Product Expert

Hi TopDrifter,

To connect your camera to a Windows 7 computer, you'll need to change the communication mode.

To set your camera up for this, please do the following:

With the camera disconnected from the computer, turn the camera on.  Press the "Menu" button.  Now select the [Wrench, Hammer, 2] tab.  Scroll down to "Communication" and press the "Set" button.

Select the [Print/PTP] and press "Set".  This process is more completely described (and illustrated too!) on page 121 of your Digital Rebel XT Instruction Manual.

Now connect your camera to your computer and turn the camera on. Your computer should now recognize and have access to your Digital Rebel XT.

Unfortunately, Canon software cannot communicate with the Rebel XT when operating in this mode.

You may download your pictures using Windows Photo Gallery, or you may use a card reader to download images.  If you haven't already done so, you may retrieve and install this program from Microsoft's download.live.com.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Hi Richard, When i upgraded to Win 7, I had the same problem as TopDrifter. After setting the comms mode in camera to (print/PTP), I was able to download images to the PC. And with Canon software, in my case EOS utility.

Thanks! thanks! thousands thanks! Before your instruction i was freaking out. You´d save me! 🙂

Hey this was really helpful.  I hit on this solution with communication set to print.  However, because the control features aren't available unless set to PC Communication, I can't update some of the settings.  I am looking for advice on how to update the settings, as the previous camera owner shows up as a Copyright on all pictures taken in RAW format.  Is there anyway to change this on the camera without using EOS utility?

@NorthOf60 wrote:

Hey this was really helpful.  I hit on this solution with communication set to print.  However, because the control features aren't available unless set to PC Communication, I can't update some of the settings.  I am looking for advice on how to update the settings, as the previous camera owner shows up as a Copyright on all pictures taken in RAW format.  Is there anyway to change this on the camera without using EOS utility?

No, that feature did not come until later.

@kvbarkley wrote:

@NorthOf60 wrote:

No, that feature did not come until later.

Even on cameras that let you change the information directly, the feature is painfully slow to use. It's prohibitively so if, as was once my situation, you have to continually change between home and work copyright notices. EOS Utility is the way to go.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

stall
Apprentice

Hi I just bought a EOS 350 D Rebel XT second hand.  I am having problems with downloading the images onto my computer. I have the communication set to printer in the menu. My mac (running on Sierra)   is incompatible with the photo utility provided by solutions disk. Is there anyway that I could trouble shoot (updates, programs, anything?)  it without needing to buy a CF reader?  I appreciate the help

It should just work. What happens when you run image capture directly?

Announcements