cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel T5 won't take photos in AF mode

taflin1
Apprentice

I have a brand new EOS Rebel T5 that will not take photos in AF mode. I switch it to MF mode and it works just fine.

In AF mode it starts to focus but won't focus all the way and subsequently will not take a photo. This is regardless of lighting. I do not get a "busy" statement.

What could be the issue?

5 REPLIES 5

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

When you switch to MF and manually focus does the green dot focus confirmation come on?

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

ScottyP
Authority

Does this ALWAYS happen, or just sometimes?  

A few possibilities seem most likely.

1). Broken lens.  Try another lens in similar conditions and see if it works.

2). Shooting conditions. Things that can hurt AF include:

a). Inadequate light.  Even seemingly normal indoor light can be inadequate for autofocus on a Rebel camera.  My old Rebel drove me nuts with that. Will it AF in bright daylight outdoors?

b). Too close.  The lens won't focus if you are inside its minimum focus distance.

c). No contrast in subject.  A blank wall or a flat grey sky, etc., may not contain anything for the camera to grab focus on. 

3). Live view.  Shooting live view, looking at the LCD on the back, like a cell phone camera, doesn't focus nearly as well as shooting through the viewfinder using the mirror.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

joniull
Apprentice

I have a canon eos rebel t5 as well.  I was going through the settings a while back then after the red light would blink and I coud not take any photos, it was like it was busy.  I have read through some of these post and switch to mf from af on the lens, it worked but takes blurry photos.  I have also read to switch to the p on the dial and put in al servo mode them switch back to af on the lens.  Ive done all the above and still blurry photos.  Why do you think I cannot switch to af on the lens alone and take pictures? Do you think I should bring to a proffessional.  I am an amateur with the camera but wanting to purchase new lens, filters and fllash items. Id appreciate any help.  Thanks

What lens? I am going to take a wild guess and say the 18-55.

" I was going through the settings a while back then ..."

Do a factory reset of the camera.  In Tools menu tab select Clear all settings.  Go outside on a nice bright day.  Set it to P mode.  ISO to 100.  The lens switch to AF. WB to Daylight.  Try it again.  If it works there isn't anything wrong with your gear.  If it does not work call Canon 1 (800) 652-2666. 

This is the only way for you to know.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements