cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR Is Suddenly on Crack

SMW28604
Contributor

My camera has suddenly started acting INSANE. None of the settings buttons on the back do anything, including the playback button. The dial on top works in that it changes the settings seemingly, but when it's on anything except flash off, it starts flashing and says "busy." I was able (somehow) to get the playback to work briefly so I saw that a test photo was actually there so it is taking photos apparently. Attaching photo of how settings are now. Thought the problem might be that quick control, but can't get that to budge either. My friend said replace the memory card, but that didn't work. I'm at a loss. Anybody ever experience anything like this? Would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks! ~Suzanne

IMG_3766.JPG

29 REPLIES 29

Mr_Fusion
Enthusiast
Micro SDHC cards are very acceptable. The "micro" refers to the physical size and nothing else. Manuals don't specifically differentiate or point to micro cards simply because an SD card is an SD card, regardless of the size.

It is a myth and bad practice to advise others without a solid reason. If you can point to any legitimate source that says NOT to use micro cards, then please cite it. In the mean time, every major AD manufacturer states their micro cards work well in cameras. Again, the ONLY caveat is in videoing 4k where heat may be a problem

@Mr_Fusion wrote:
Micro SDHC cards are very acceptable. The "micro" refers to the physical size and nothing else. Manuals don't specifically differentiate or point to micro cards simply because an SD card is an SD card, regardless of the size.

It is a myth and bad practice to advise others without a solid reason. If you can point to any legitimate source that says NOT to use micro cards, then please cite it. In the mean time, every major AD manufacturer states their micro cards work well in cameras. Again, the ONLY caveat is in videoing 4k where heat may be a problem

We've had enough people write in with complaints that went away when they stopped using micro-SD cards to convince us that they're a bad idea, no matter how one interprets Canon's recommendations. We couldn't care less that you think we're all wet, and we can't stop you from telling others that we are. But here's what I'd say to anyone who asks why he should take our advice rather than yours: "There is no more mission-critical device in your camera than the memory card. If it doesn't work correctly, your photo shoot is toast. The most common memory card failure is poor contact between the card and the camera. By using a micro card, you add an extra set of contacts for no compelling reason. Why would you want to introduce this unnecessary risk factor?"

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

We've had enough people write in with complaints that went away when they stopped using micro-SD cards to convince us that they're a bad idea, no matter how one interprets Canon's recommendations. We couldn't care less that you think we're all wet, and we can't stop you from telling others that we are. But here's what I'd say to anyone who asks why he should take our advice rather than yours: "There is no more mission-critical device in your camera than the memory card. If it doesn't work correctly, your photo shoot is toast. The most common memory card failure is poor contact between the card and the camera. By using a micro card, you add an extra set of contacts for no compelling reason. Why would you want to introduce this unnecessary risk factor?"

Anecdotal evidence is not "scientific evidence". Again, there is no difference in quality between a full size card and a micro size card. You don't know why the "problem went away". Possible explanations include counterfeit cards, mishandling the cards, or even foreign debris inside the camera.

If you want to think you are all wet, that is your own emotions. I'm working off of facts. I would much prefer to discuss facts than projections.

There is no question that the recording medium is important. It though, is only one component in a system where any single failure can stop the mission. Suggesting it is THE most important component is an emotional argument, not factual.

The most common type of SD card failure is from counterfeit cards.  Every time a card is removed and then inserted into something else causes wear. Every time you handle a card with those exposed contacts you risk damage. Every time you insert them or put them into a sleeve you risk damage. Leaving a micro SD card in its adapter and leaving that in the camera does not.

An extra set of contacts? That isn't how it works. Once the contacts are in place, they don't move. This connection is little different than most of the electrical connections in the rest of the camera. The ONLY wear will come from removing and reinserting the card.

There is norisk factor in using a micro card although there is in changing cards.  Myths and false understanding are generally far more dangerous than anything. Use your personal preference all day. But don't share myths as fact when the best you (plural) can come up with are anecdotal claims and non-existent technical reasons. 

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

Anecdotal evidence is not "scientific evidence". Again, there is no difference in quality between a full size card and a micro size card. You don't know why the "problem went away". Possible explanations include counterfeit cards, mishandling the cards, or even foreign debris inside the camera.

If you want to think you are all wet, that is your own emotions. I'm working off of facts. I would much prefer to discuss facts than projections.

There is no question that the recording medium is important. It though, is only one component in a system where any single failure can stop the mission. Suggesting it is THE most important component is an emotional argument, not factual.

The most common type of SD card failure is from counterfeit cards.  Every time a card is removed and then inserted into something else causes wear. Every time you handle a card with those exposed contacts you risk damage. Every time you insert them or put them into a sleeve you risk damage. Leaving a micro SD card in its adapter and leaving that in the camera does not.

An extra set of contacts? That isn't how it works. Once the contacts are in place, they don't move. This connection is little different than most of the electrical connections in the rest of the camera. The ONLY wear will come from removing and reinserting the card.

There is norisk factor in using a micro card although there is in changing cards.  Myths and false understanding are generally far more dangerous than anything. Use your personal preference all day. But don't share myths as fact when the best you (plural) can come up with are anecdotal claims and non-existent technical reasons. 

All evidence is anecdotal. Science consists of analyzing a body of anecdotal evidence and proposing a theory that explains it. Scientific "fact" is nothing more or less than what can be deduced from theories that have not been disproved.

Everything in your post is opinion. So is everything I said in the post that you quoted above. That's fine: we're discussing risk analysis, and risk analysis consists of weighing conflicting opinions and deciding which one makes the most sense. I think mine makes more sense than yours. The reader can judge for himself.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I'm working off of facts. I would much prefer to discuss facts than projections."

Ok here is a fact for you.  Canon did not design their camera to use micro-SD card adapters.  They designed it to use an SD card.  I doubt any company is going to list all the things you should not or can not use.  Now it makes not a rat's petutie to me what you use but saying the adapters are perfectly fine is just as bad as saying they aren't.  Now that's a fact.

BTW, I don't even like SD cards much preferring CF cards.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

From time to time, Canon Moderators and Product Experts have pointed out that micro-SD cards are not recommended.

The manuals say to use type A, B, or C, but makes no mention of type D.  Your conclusion is that it is okay to use type D, because the manual does not specifically say not use type D.

But, you can do whatever you wish to do.  Your reasoning is highly flawed.  Claiming that manuals do not specifically say do not use micro-SD cards as justification for using them is most illogical.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"From time to time, Canon Moderators and Product Experts have pointed out that micro-SD cards are not recommended.

The manuals say to use type A, B, or C, but makes no mention of type D.  Your conclusion is that it is okay to use type D, because the manual does not specifically say not use type D.

But, you can do whatever you wish to do.  Your reasoning is highly flawed.  Claiming that manuals do not specifically say do not use micro-SD cards as justification for using them is most illogical."

My thought exaxtly and I didn't have to type it.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

From time to time, Canon Moderators and Product Experts have pointed out that micro-SD cards are not recommended.

The only ones I see claiming not to use micro SD cards are a few here. Anyone claiming that a micro SD card can not perform similar to a full size card does not understand how memory cards work. 

What the manuals refer to are form factors. Those are important simply because they need to attain a minimum read / write speed and characteristics. Not all electronic devices can read / write to the latest specifications. As far as I know, all Canon cameras support the various SD form factors; SD, SDHD, SDXC, and USCs.  When a manual specifies the SD card form factor, the size of the card is not relevant. Those are two separate things. Using the form factor to argue the size acceptance is misguided. (The manual specifies a Speed rating of 6 although I personally recommend a Speed of 10.)

If you can point to any legitimate source that says NOT to use micro cards, then please cite it

I still wait for a cite that micro SD cards are to be avoided in Canon cameras. . Anecdotal experience is not a legitimate source. As I wrote elsewhere, counterfeit cards are a far larger issue than anything else. 

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

The only ones I see claiming not to use micro SD cards are a few here. Anyone claiming that a micro SD card can not

If you can point to any legitimate source that says NOT to use micro cards, then please cite it

I still wait for a cite that micro SD cards are to be avoided in Canon cameras. . Anecdotal experience is not a legitimate source. As I wrote elsewhere, counterfeit cards are a far larger issue than anything else. 

I agree.  Anecdotal experience is not a legitimate source.  However, all of your "facts" have been anecdotes from your personal experience.  Personal opinions are not facts, either.  

BTW, I have already presented facts, the instruction manuals that specify using types A, B, or C.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

- BTW, I have already presented facts, the instruction manuals that specify using types A, B, or C.

SD cards do not come in "A, B, or C". They come in SD, SDHC, and SDXC. The manuals all specify those cards. https://www.sdcard.org/consumers/choices/file_system/index.html

Announcements