cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR Is Suddenly on Crack

SMW28604
Contributor

My camera has suddenly started acting INSANE. None of the settings buttons on the back do anything, including the playback button. The dial on top works in that it changes the settings seemingly, but when it's on anything except flash off, it starts flashing and says "busy." I was able (somehow) to get the playback to work briefly so I saw that a test photo was actually there so it is taking photos apparently. Attaching photo of how settings are now. Thought the problem might be that quick control, but can't get that to budge either. My friend said replace the memory card, but that didn't work. I'm at a loss. Anybody ever experience anything like this? Would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks! ~Suzanne

IMG_3766.JPG

29 REPLIES 29

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Replacing the memory card* was a good idea, but if that did not work, it looks like something is broken. You should call Canon.

*I am assuming it is a full size card, not a small card with an adapter. If yo are using an adapter, try a full size card.

What do you mean by "full-sized card"? It's a SAN Disk 16 MB... could be close to being full, but I did try a new bigger card and that didn't change anything.

Thank you!

@SMW28604 wrote:

What do you mean by "full-sized card"? It's a SAN Disk 16 MB... could be close to being full, but I did try a new bigger card and that didn't change anything.

Thank you!

SD cards can come in two physical sizes.  The original "full size" card, and more recently a much smaller micro-SD card, which typically comes with a plastic adapter so that you can use it in a "full size" slot.  My dash cams and GPS use micro-Sd cards directly, without an adapter.  Some smart phones and tablets use them for memory expansion.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Oh, then it's full-sized.

There is no reason NOT to use a micro card and adapter in any Canon camera. 4k video may create a heat problem that may be an issue with an adapter, but would also be an issue with a standard card unless the camera allows some heat dispersion. (Which could be the reason Canon doesn't offer 4k video in its EOS line) Any heat created by HD video or still shooting is too insignificant to be a problem with either full size or micro in an adapter.

Micro SD uses eight contacts while full size uses nine. Full size cards have a reserved contact that micro doesn't. The eight micro contacts line up into the eight usable adapter contacts. These contacts are solid contacts so there is no loss of speed due to any signal processing. 

Repeat removal and insertion of a card will cause wear on the contacts. That applies to full size cards, adapters, micro cards AND the female sockets they connect to. While SD uses little friction on the contacts, there is always going to be some wear. The only way to avoid wear is to leave the card in the camera and use the USB cable or WiFi.

I have not seen any MTBF difference between full size and micro cards adhering to the SD Consortium standards. There are, however, many counterfeit cards out there.  Only buy from a reputable outlet, such as B&H, Adorama, and Best Buy.

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

There is no reason NOT to use a micro card and adapter in any Canon camera. 4k video may create a heat problem that may be an issue with an adapter, but would also be an issue with a standard card unless the camera allows some heat dispersion. (Which could be the reason Canon doesn't offer 4k video in its EOS line) Any heat created by HD video or still shooting is too insignificant to be a problem with either full size or micro in an adapter.

Micro SD uses eight contacts while full size uses nine. Full size cards have a reserved contact that micro doesn't. The eight micro contacts line up into the eight usable adapter contacts. These contacts are solid contacts so there is no loss of speed due to any signal processing. 

Repeat removal and insertion of a card will cause wear on the contacts. That applies to full size cards, adapters, micro cards AND the female sockets they connect to. While SD uses little friction on the contacts, there is always going to be some wear. The only way to avoid wear is to leave the card in the camera and use the USB cable or WiFi.

I have not seen any MTBF difference between full size and micro cards adhering to the SD Consortium standards. There are, however, many counterfeit cards out there.  Only buy from a reputable outlet, such as B&H, Adorama, and Best Buy.

This is bad science, and bad advice.

If you want a reason not to use a micro=SD card and adapter, then pick up any instruction manual and READ it.  They all have  a page where they list what types of cards compatible, and recommended for use with the cameras.  

You will typically see "SD, SDHC, or SDXC" cards as the recommended types.  Notice what is NOT written, micro-SD cards.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"This is bad science, and bad advice."

1+ Smiley Frustrated

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

"There is no reason NOT to use a micro card and adapter in any Canon camera."

You mean other than the introduction of an additional, unneccessary part that can fail.

"Only buy from a reputable outlet, such as B&H, Adorama, and Best Buy."

Is an adapter or SanDisk memory card from Best Buy better than the ones from Newegg? 

@John_SD wrote:

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

"There is no reason NOT to use a micro card and adapter in any Canon camera."

You mean other than the introduction of an additional, unneccessary part that can fail.

"Only buy from a reputable outlet, such as B&H, Adorama, and Best Buy."

Is an adapter or SanDisk memory card from Best Buy better than the ones from Newegg? 

An additional part that may fail?  Are you serious?The adapter is a straight mechanical connection, the card or camera will most likely fail before the adapter. Any adapter from any member of the SD Consortium is built to the same standards as the cards. The connections should have the same rate of failure as the connections on a card.

The only thing that will cause an adapter to fail is repeat handling and poor storage, and that would be mechanical damage.

Is Newegg a "reputable outlet"? I have never had a problem with them, but I haven't bought anything from them in a few years. If you find them reputable, then buy from them.

Announcements