cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel SL1 DSLR Is Suddenly on Crack

SMW28604
Contributor

My camera has suddenly started acting INSANE. None of the settings buttons on the back do anything, including the playback button. The dial on top works in that it changes the settings seemingly, but when it's on anything except flash off, it starts flashing and says "busy." I was able (somehow) to get the playback to work briefly so I saw that a test photo was actually there so it is taking photos apparently. Attaching photo of how settings are now. Thought the problem might be that quick control, but can't get that to budge either. My friend said replace the memory card, but that didn't work. I'm at a loss. Anybody ever experience anything like this? Would greatly appreciate any help.

Thanks! ~Suzanne

IMG_3766.JPG

29 REPLIES 29

@SMW28604 wrote:

What do you mean by "full-sized card"? It's a SAN Disk 16 MB... could be close to being full, but I did try a new bigger card and that didn't change anything.

Thank you!

He means don't use a micro-SD card (the kind used in call phones) with an adapter to make it fit an SD slot. Those often don't work well in cameras.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Good advice to only use full size SD cards.  You could try going into the menus and resetting the camera back to factory defaults, too.

You should be able to power up the camera without a memory card, which can rule out if the card is the problem.   You should perform a low level format in the camera on any memoru card before use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Wish I could go into menus! Will try it again tomorrow when I feel less like hurling the camera off the balcony.

thank you!

@SMW28604 wrote:

Wish I could go into menus! Will try it again tomorrow when I feel less like hurling the camera off the balcony.

thank you!

Did you try to power it up without a memory card?  Make sure that it is not in video mode, BTW.

Make sure all of the buttons can click as they should, and are not stuck with dirt. 

It does power on without the card in it and does the exact same thing: flash goes off two or three times and none of the buttons work. No dirt on anything---I haven't used this camera a whole helluva lot and it's only 3 years old!

it has been sitting in its case when I'm not using it on top of a wireless printer, which I use *super* infrequently and is almost always powered off. But wanted to mention it anyway....

I've taken the battery and card out and will check again in a couple of days.

thanks, everyone!

@SMW28604 wrote:

It does power on without the card in it and does the exact same thing: flash goes off two or three times and none of the buttons work. No dirt on anything---I haven't used this camera a whole helluva lot and it's only 3 years old!

it has been sitting in its case when I'm not using it on top of a wireless printer, which I use *super* infrequently and is almost always powered off. But wanted to mention it anyway....

Okay, so we can rule out  the memory card for the time being, and look elsewhere. 

If you power on, and the flash fires, then the camera could be trying to focus with the focus assist beam.  Check the shutter button again.  Make sure it is not jammed or stuck with dirt.  All of the buttons should "click" when pressed.  The shutter should click twice.  Once for a half press, and again for a full press.

It sounds like you have a bad button problem, or a circuit board problem.  In either case, you need to contact Canon Service.  

Welp. Nothing worked. Will go through Canon. Thanks again!

It is where you were headed all along! 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

A couple of things.  We know the SD card is working if it has pictures on it plus you tried a new one.  The second thought is, did you try a mirror lock up?  Perhaps trying to clean the SL1?

Remove the battery and the SD card for a few days.  If it was a mirror lock-up this will reset it.  Recharge the battery and try again. Unlikely to work but easy to try. If that doesn't work call Canon service.

If memory serves me correctly the SL1 has an internal keep alive battery which makes a total reset difficult.  I doubt removing the main battery will reset it.  Unless you leave it out for an extended time period, that is.  If you have to input the time and date, then the SL1 did reset.  If you don't have to, it did not.

Call Canon service.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements