cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS 350D. Stuck on buSY

Kev11
Apprentice

Camera stopped during or after long bulb exposure due to flat battery.  Changed to spare battery.  Camera stuck on buSY ever since.  Info screen normal.  Have tried another CF card and have tried re-formatting card externally.

More suggestions welcome.  If anyone in Sydney or Canberra, Australia sees this, suggestions of repair shops much appreciated.

Kevin

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amfoto1
Authority

You will need to removed both batteries, to get the camera to "reboot".

The 350D/XT has a separate date/time battery, in addition to the main rechargeable. The date/time battery is in a little drawer next to the rechargeable.

It's sort of like restarting your computer to clear RAM, to speed it up and resolve problems. After all, DSLRs are basically computers, too.  

Do this:

1. turn off the camera.

2. remove both batteries (note: the date/time battery is shown on page 38 of your manual).

3. turn camera on

4. press the shutter release button once (note: it won't fire, this is just done to drain any remaining power in the camera)

5. turn off camera

6. reinstall batteries (note: wipe the contacts to be sure they are clean of finger oils, etc.)

6a. this might be a good time to replace the date/time battery, if that's never been done (life of these is about 5 years)

6b. if the main rechargeable is old, it might not be taking a proper charge either (life of these is about 400 recharge cycles)

7. turn on camera

8. check the date/time: if it needs to be reset, you got a proper reboot. If not, repeat above.

9. if repeating still doesn't give you a proper reboot, try leaving the batteries out for about an hour instead of pressing the shutter reelast button.

There are no guarantees this will work. But it's free and easy to try.

I would strongly suspect the rechargeable batteries if they are older. After a certain age and certain number of recharge cycles they tend to go bad and what you are seeing might be due to low power supply. It also can be a charger going bad. That's rarer, but does happen sometimes.

If you get the camera working again, don't forget to re-format that memory card in the camera. Formatting it elsewhere, as you say you've done, it might not work right until it's redone in-camera.

Sorry, can't recommend any repair people in your part of the world. This is the Canon USA website and forum. Maybe some other sites are a bit more international or closer to your home.

Hope this helps

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

At this point I would get all new stuff.  A new CF card and a new, Canon, battery.  Try a different lens, too.

Leave the battery out for a long time, over night is good.  Make sure the 'new' battery is fully charged.

Do not format the CF card with anything but the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thank you, I shall take your advice.

amfoto1
Authority

You will need to removed both batteries, to get the camera to "reboot".

The 350D/XT has a separate date/time battery, in addition to the main rechargeable. The date/time battery is in a little drawer next to the rechargeable.

It's sort of like restarting your computer to clear RAM, to speed it up and resolve problems. After all, DSLRs are basically computers, too.  

Do this:

1. turn off the camera.

2. remove both batteries (note: the date/time battery is shown on page 38 of your manual).

3. turn camera on

4. press the shutter release button once (note: it won't fire, this is just done to drain any remaining power in the camera)

5. turn off camera

6. reinstall batteries (note: wipe the contacts to be sure they are clean of finger oils, etc.)

6a. this might be a good time to replace the date/time battery, if that's never been done (life of these is about 5 years)

6b. if the main rechargeable is old, it might not be taking a proper charge either (life of these is about 400 recharge cycles)

7. turn on camera

8. check the date/time: if it needs to be reset, you got a proper reboot. If not, repeat above.

9. if repeating still doesn't give you a proper reboot, try leaving the batteries out for about an hour instead of pressing the shutter reelast button.

There are no guarantees this will work. But it's free and easy to try.

I would strongly suspect the rechargeable batteries if they are older. After a certain age and certain number of recharge cycles they tend to go bad and what you are seeing might be due to low power supply. It also can be a charger going bad. That's rarer, but does happen sometimes.

If you get the camera working again, don't forget to re-format that memory card in the camera. Formatting it elsewhere, as you say you've done, it might not work right until it's redone in-camera.

Sorry, can't recommend any repair people in your part of the world. This is the Canon USA website and forum. Maybe some other sites are a bit more international or closer to your home.

Hope this helps

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Thank you very much, Alan, that worked just fine. I have taken on-board your advice about batteries.
Kind Regards
Kevin

noahjd123
Apprentice

I have the same problem, but mine gets stuck when i plug it into my computer

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements