Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,533
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Do I need a lens filter for protection?


RobertTheFat wrote:

Waddizzle wrote:
Finally, first and foremost, keep MOM happy.

Some of the worst decisions I ever made, and some of the best, stemmed from trying to placate my mother. For example, I once attended, with great reluctance, a party (the 1960s equivalent of a high-end dating bar) to which my mother had wangled a colleague into getting me invited. She had made it abundantly clear that if I didn't go, she would be mortified to face her colleague ever again.

 

I never met the colleague, but I did meet my future wife at that party. We've been married for 50 years.


LOL.  Want know what I think of your story?  I think you met the colleague and married her.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,215
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Do I need a lens filter for protection?


Waddizzle wrote:

RobertTheFat wrote:

Waddizzle wrote:
Finally, first and foremost, keep MOM happy.

Some of the worst decisions I ever made, and some of the best, stemmed from trying to placate my mother. For example, I once attended, with great reluctance, a party (the 1960s equivalent of a high-end dating bar) to which my mother had wangled a colleague into getting me invited. She had made it abundantly clear that if I didn't go, she would be mortified to face her colleague ever again.

 

I never met the colleague, but I did meet my future wife at that party. We've been married for 50 years.


LOL.  Want know what I think of your story?  I think you met the colleague and married her.


Nope! I'd have found that out by now!  Smiley Wink

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Honored Contributor
Posts: 7,526
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: Do I need a lens filter for protection?

B from B,

"We've been married for 50 years."

 

Ditto but I met her at  Hallmark in KC.  Smiley Very Happy

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Honored Contributor
Posts: 7,526
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: Do I need a lens filter for protection?

John_SD,

 

That is because all the nay sayers about using protecto filters is BS.  Big BS!

 

"I have not noticed any degradation of image quality, flaring or other obvious abnormalities. ..."

And neither do they.  They search for it.  I sell photos and no one yet has said, I would have bought that photo if you only hadn't used that protecto filter.

 

"So I am glad that I have that protection."

Me too but the biggest BS concerning the nay sayers is, they forget if you do run into a situation where the filter causes an issue, remove it.  It unscrews as easily as it screwed on!

 

"I don't have enough confidence in lens hoods to protect my lenses in these environments."

Hoods are great.  They are a must have.  They need to be on the lens 99% of the time.  However they do not offer much in the way of protection as you say.

 

 

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Super Contributor
Posts: 127
Registered: ‎01-31-2017

Re: Do I need a lens filter for protection?


RobertTheFat wrote:

I did meet my future wife at that party. We've been married for 50 years.


That is an increasingly rare achievement in this day and age. Kudos times 50. 

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,215
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Do I need a lens filter for protection?


ebiggs1 wrote:

B from B,

"We've been married for 50 years."

 

Ditto but I met her at  Hallmark in KC.  Smiley Very Happy


An office romance?  Smiley Happy

 

My wife and I were one or two steps removed from that. When we met, she was working for the Aetna insurance company in Hartford. I had been a summer intern there for a couple of years when I was in college, so we knew some of the same people.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,533
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: Do I need a lens filter for protection?

B from B wrote:

 

"I don't see any reason to prefer a "clear" filter over a UV filter; I'd buy whichever one is cheaper. And it wouldn't surprise me if the clear filter turned out to be more expensive than a UV filter of equivalent quality."

 

Here is my reason to prefer a clear filter.  Ironically enough, it was one of your posts that made me realize this.

 

Because while I need a protective filter indoors, I don't need a UV filter when I am indoors using a flash.  A UV filter pretty much throws all of the White Balance presets built into the camera, and software, out the window, IMHO.   

 

Seeing how a digital camera has a UV filter built into the sensor assembly, I really do not need a protective filter with UV filtering properties.  Besides, the camera software "knows" about the UV filtering in the image sensor assembly, so any white balance complications should not be an issue.

 

If I were using a UV protective filter, I should probably remove it when shooting indoors with a flash.  Once I remove the UV filter, either I use a clear filter in its' place, or shoot with no protective filter at all.  The most useful protective filter would be a clear filter, because I can use it in nearly any shooting scenario.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 66
Registered: ‎10-18-2016

Re: Do I need a lens filter for protection?

[ Edited ]

Like many aspects of photography, the response that one will give to this topic will depend on one's situation, by which I mean to include the type of photography one undertakes and the conditions under which one does so.

 

So PERSONALLY I have always used a good quality glass UV(0) multi-coated filter and a lens hood on all of my lenses.  This is for a couple of reasons:

1. For purely mechanical protection.  I had the experience of having an airport security person drop my camera with an L series lens. It was in a padded holster and fell only about 500mm, and I thought nothing of it at the time.  When I went to use the camera I found the front element had taken the brunt of the impact (lenses tend to be heavier and so they hit first) and the filter was totally destroyed.  Had I not had the filter on (and I had the lens hood attached but in reverse for convenience in transit), I expect the front element would have been destroyed at considerable cost and invconvenience. I keep a spare UV filter of each size with me.

 

2. I am fairly fastidious about dirt in my lenses and bodies, and some lenses are more prone to breathing in dust than others.  In particular I try to avoid dust getting into the camera body (and hence onto the sensor) and I do this by preferring weathersealed bodies and by not changing lenses in the field (so I am prepared to carry around multiple bodies) and I use a filter to reduce the airflow through the lens and support the dust and weather resistence properties of my lenses and bodies.

 

3.  I use the UV(0) because my OWN style of photograph does not generally require met to employ flashes - being mostly wildlife and scenic using available light, but I do prefer the added reduction of UV.   I note the comment about using a clear filter when one uses flashes on a significant basis and cannot comment on that.

 

As I said before, everyone will have a preferred solution but I would recommend that in answering the quesion one should establish the conditions (purpose, economy and physical) under which the gear will be used.

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,215
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: Do I need a lens filter for protection?


Waddizzle wrote:

... 

Because while I need a protective filter indoors, I don't need a UV filter when I am indoors using a flash.  A UV filter pretty much throws all of the White Balance presets built into the camera, and software, out the window, IMHO.   


That I just don't get. Since there's a UV filter in front of the sensor, how does the camera know, when establishing the white balance, whether there's a UV filter on the lens? The only mechanism that could conceivably be affected is the metering system, and I'd be very surprised if that were allowed to be sensitive to UV light.

 

That said, I agree with your assertion that a clear glass filter (i.e., one that passes UV) is just as good as a UV filter. I was merely guessing that it might be more expensive, to no practical benefit.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Honored Contributor
Posts: 7,526
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: Do I need a lens filter for protection?

B from B,

"A UV filter pretty much throws all of the White Balance presets built into the camera, and software, out the window, IMHO."

 

It was just his 'opinion' and as such was just that.  If it were a fact and I seriously doubt it, if we are all using RAW it makes no difference.

 

 

 

At the time we met each other I was the Office Supply delivery boy and she was the office supply ordering girl for the Customer Service dept.  If it had been a little lather after I transfered to the Tooling dept in the Graphic Arts division, we would have never met.

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement