Canon Community Canon Community

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Do I need a lens filter for protection?

ebiggs1 wrote:

At the time we met each other I was the Office Supply delivery boy and she was the office supply ordering girl for the Customer Service dept.  If it had been a little lather after I transfered to the Tooling dept in the Graphic Arts division, we would have never met.

Reminds me of my son and his wife. They worked at two different locations for a chain of automobile dealerships, he as a service technician and she in the personnel department. They eyed each other on the rare occasions when one was at the other's site. But he almost didn't ask her out, because he saw a baby seat in her car and assumed she was married. Turned out the baby seat belonged to her married sister.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

RobertTheFat wrote:

Waddizzle wrote:

Because while I need a protective filter indoors, I don't need a UV filter when I am indoors using a flash.  A UV filter pretty much throws all of the White Balance presets built into the camera, and software, out the window, IMHO.   

That I just don't get. Since there's a UV filter in front of the sensor, how does the camera know, when establishing the white balance, whether there's a UV filter on the lens? The only mechanism that could conceivably be affected is the metering system, and I'd be very surprised if that were allowed to be sensitive to UV light.

That said, I agree with your assertion that a clear glass filter (i.e., one that passes UV) is just as good as a UV filter. I was merely guessing that it might be more expensive, to no practical benefit.

I'm not saying if using a UV filter will affect white balance of not, but, it is the main image sensor that has the built-in UV filter in front of it, not in front of the metering sensor which is what determines the white balance. 

Esteemed Contributor

I believe it is the main sensor that is used to determine white balance. If it wasn't I don't see how spot metering or Live View mode would be able to determine WB. 

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X, Rebel T5i, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, MX472
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

RobertTheFat wrote:

Waddizzle wrote:

Because while I need a protective filter indoors, I don't need a UV filter when I am indoors using a flash.  A UV filter pretty much throws all of the White Balance presets built into the camera, and software, out the window, IMHO.   

That I just don't get. Since there's a UV filter in front of the sensor, how does the camera know, when establishing the white balance, whether there's a UV filter on the lens? The only mechanism that could conceivably be affected is the metering system, and I'd be very surprised if that were allowed to be sensitive to UV light.

That said, I agree with your assertion that a clear glass filter (i.e., one that passes UV) is just as good as a UV filter. I was merely guessing that it might be more expensive, to no practical benefit.

How does a camera know whether or not there is a UV filter, or any filter for that matter, on the lens?  That's just it.  The camera doesn't know, and there is no way it can figure it out, either.  The last time I checked, filter data is not included in EXIF data.  The WB presets in the camera, and your software, have to assume that there isn't any filter on the lens.  Even if you use a RAW file, the RAW data will be "colored" by any filter that you use.

If you want accurate WB, then I don't see how you can get accuracy without a custom WB setting when you use a filter that is not Clear.  If you use a filter, the WB presets will get you close.  Of course, if you need truly accurate WB, then you should take a measurement, anyway, filter or no filter.

I have been experiencing WB issues in some photos lately.  I have been searching for reasons why this has been happening, so switching to all Clear filters eliminates one potential source of problems.  I have a couple of other suspects, too.  Using a Clear filter seems to have improved my indoor shots.  Better outdoor weather will determine if it helps my outdoor shots.

[EDIT]. Don't forget.  I'm the guy who thinks about it too much.  It's the scientist in me that causes it.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Honored Contributor

" Even if you use a RAW file, the RAW data will be "colored" by any filter that you use."

It still makes no difference if you correct in post.  I will guess you do, do that?

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Honored Contributor

ebiggs1 wrote:

" Even if you use a RAW file, the RAW data will be "colored" by any filter that you use."

It still makes no difference if you correct in post.  I will guess you do, do that?

Of course, I do.   That's not what I said.  When you use a filter it seems like WB presets, like "daylight", seem to be a little off. 

You were the one that said it makes no difference because you can correct it post.  True.  But, I have realized that you need to take a WB measurement in order to get it right when you use non-Clear filters.  You can no longer trust the presets.  The presets will get you close, but they won't get it right, because the presets must assume that no lens filter is in place.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Honored Contributor

The bottom line remains, "It still makes no difference if you correct in post."

Learn how to use LR and PS better and you will come to realize that.

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

ebiggs1 wrote:

The bottom line remains, "It still makes no difference if you correct in post."

Learn how to use LR and PS better and you will come to realize that.

I said as much.  I'm simply pointing out that using WB presets may not be as "correct" as we might assume them to be.  I have a couple of other suspected causes for my recent WB issues, and both are related to LR and PS.

Speaking of LR as PS, I recently changed my workflow when I added more network storage, which as near as I can tell is when my WB issues seem to have begun.  I do most of my work in LR, and only use PS when I want to more than just "develop" RAW images into JPEGs.  I think the change to network storage is when the WB issues began.

Instead of working on files that are stored on my local hard drive, the files are stored at a network location,  When importing files into LR, I use the same preset that I always have, but now I also creaate a "smart preview" of each file.  Smart previews create a DNG file, which is stored locally on the platform that you are using to run LR. 

Edits on network files actually seem to be performed on the local DNG file, which are periodically synched up with the network files in the catalog.  I can see, view, and edit my entire network catalog of image files without actually being connected to the network.  So far, it is all black magic to me.  I haven't figured out all of the nuts and bolts of smart previews.