cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need a lens filter for protection?

kitkat
Apprentice
I recently bought a Canon T5 bundle without really knowing the first thing about cameras. I'd like to learn, though, which is why I bought it.

My mother tells me I absolutely, definitely, 100% must get a lens filter to protect the lens, but I've read conflicting theories on whether or not it's a good idea, so I've come here to ask. I have heard people say that lens hoods give better protection, but I'm still unsure.

I got the camera on clearance for very cheap, and I'm on an extremely limited budget, so I'm unable to spend a lot on accessories, but I also don't want to fail to protect what I've got.
37 REPLIES 37

" Even if you use a RAW file, the RAW data will be "colored" by any filter that you use."

It still makes no difference if you correct in post.  I will guess you do, do that?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" Even if you use a RAW file, the RAW data will be "colored" by any filter that you use."

It still makes no difference if you correct in post.  I will guess you do, do that?

Of course, I do.   That's not what I said.  When you use a filter it seems like WB presets, like "daylight", seem to be a little off. 

You were the one that said it makes no difference because you can correct it post.  True.  But, I have realized that you need to take a WB measurement in order to get it right when you use non-Clear filters.  You can no longer trust the presets.  The presets will get you close, but they won't get it right, because the presets must assume that no lens filter is in place.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

The bottom line remains, "It still makes no difference if you correct in post."

Learn how to use LR and PS better and you will come to realize that.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

The bottom line remains, "It still makes no difference if you correct in post."

Learn how to use LR and PS better and you will come to realize that.

I said as much.  I'm simply pointing out that using WB presets may not be as "correct" as we might assume them to be.  I have a couple of other suspected causes for my recent WB issues, and both are related to LR and PS.

Speaking of LR as PS, I recently changed my workflow when I added more network storage, which as near as I can tell is when my WB issues seem to have begun.  I do most of my work in LR, and only use PS when I want to more than just "develop" RAW images into JPEGs.  I think the change to network storage is when the WB issues began.

Instead of working on files that are stored on my local hard drive, the files are stored at a network location,  When importing files into LR, I use the same preset that I always have, but now I also creaate a "smart preview" of each file.  Smart previews create a DNG file, which is stored locally on the platform that you are using to run LR. 

Edits on network files actually seem to be performed on the local DNG file, which are periodically synched up with the network files in the catalog.  I can see, view, and edit my entire network catalog of image files without actually being connected to the network.  So far, it is all black magic to me.  I haven't figured out all of the nuts and bolts of smart previews.

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

The B+W 58mm XS-Pro Clear MRC-Nano 007 Filter costs $30. Half the replacement cost* of the EF-S 18-55 IS or the EF-S 75-300.

* EX+ condition at KEH

@TTMartin wrote:

The B+W 58mm XS-Pro Clear MRC-Nano 007 Filter costs $30. Half the replacement cost* of the EF-S 18-55 IS or the EF-S 75-300.

* EX+ condition at KEH

The same filter can fit either lens, which is one quarter of YOUR cited replacement cost of both lenses.  

@Waddizzle wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

* EX+ condition at KEH

The same filter can fit either lens, which is one quarter of YOUR cited replacement cost of both lenses.  

And having to change the filter when you change the lens in the field? You really need to get out from behind the computer and do some real world photography. 

@TTMartin wrote:

And having to change the filter when you change the lens in the field? You really need to get out from behind the computer and do some real world photography. 

Okay, I'll do that.  Meanwhile, I'll stick with my advice to keep MOM happy.

kitkat
Apprentice
Oh wow, okay. I'll get the cleaning supplies right away, and a couple of hoods. I'll have to hold off on the lens filters, since $60 on top of the rest is a bit out of my budget currently.

Thank you all so much.

@kitkat wrote:
Oh wow, okay. I'll get the cleaning supplies right away, and a couple of hoods. I'll have to hold off on the lens filters, since $60 on top of the rest is a bit out of my budget currently.

Thank you all so much.

I bought a complete "Lens Cleaning Kit" that was made by Zeiss, which included an air blower, a retractable lipstick cleaning brush, pre-moistened wipes, micro fiber cloth, cleaning fluid, and it comes in an lint free, cloth bag.  

It's my emergency first aid kit, which I carry in my camera bag when I go out.  In the course of three years since I bought it, I have only used the blower a couple of times.  In fact, the blower is the only tool in the kit that I have had need to use.  I have a few lenses that have never had their front elements cleaned.

Learn to observe good habits when it comes to changing lenses and using your gear.  Most of it is common sense, but there are a few unforeseen pitfalls that you learn through experience.  Others have mentioned not changing lenses outdoors, because their is usually a lot of airborne particles outdoors. 

Always change your lenses in a clean environement, free of breezes and wind drafts.  For example, I have learned to never change lenses sitting in a car with the A/C blasting away.  This was one of those times that I needed the blower. 

Beware of opening the camera body in high humidity environments, which only traps high humidty air inside of the camera body where it will only eventually condense on the image sensor and other places.

Finally, first and foremost, keep MOM happy.

Announcements