cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Date Stamp on the photo

iracanon
Apprentice

Hello, I just got a EOS Rebel t6, and I cannot make it to stamp the date on the photo. I want to confirm the camera does not do that, because I want to return it if it does not? Can you recommend a similar Canon that does stamp the date on the photo? Thank you.

22 REPLIES 22

cicopo
Elite

To the best of my knowledge none of the DSLR's do it so if that's what you need it will require going to a Point & shoot camera. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

And even then, an *old* point and shoot, This is a feature that is disappearing since the data is in the exif.

kvbarkley wrote:

And even then, an *old* point and shoot, This is a feature that is disappearing since the data is in the exif.

And the fact that the date is included in the Exif data means that there's bound to be post-processing software that will put it on the picture for you. I don't believe DPP will do it; but for all I know, Lightroom might.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"...but for all I know, Lightroom might."

Nope.  Smiley Sad

I know there used to be some date stamper programs but I can't recall their names right now.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Camera's stopped putting date/time stamps in photos many years ago -- beause in the age of digital, all images include the date in the file (it's just not visually displayed).   

It was a hold-over from the days of film when some film cameras would put the date in the corner (because they weren't digital) and then when digital came out, they continued to support it.   But usually the reasons someone wanted the date was that they could oranize and find their photos... based on date.  But since that's all automatic now in most any photo app, it's not really necessary to visually show the date in the corner of the image.

If you do really want to see it... there are loads of apps for mobile phones, PCs, Macs, etc. that will automatically add the date/time stamp to the corner of the image.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

iracanon
Apprentice
Thank you all for your responses! I got this Canon to replace a Nikon D3200, also DSLR, because it has started to freeze. I am very disappointed because I still select photos to print, and do like to see the date on them. They should have the option to activate this feature if you prefer, like other cameras do (also DSLR). At least I can still return it! Thanks again!!!!

@iracanon wrote:
Thank you all for your responses! I got this Canon to replace a Nikon D3200, also DSLR, because it has started to freeze. I am very disappointed because I still select photos to print, and do like to see the date on them. They should have the option to activate this feature if you prefer, like other cameras do (also DSLR). At least I can still return it! Thanks again!!!!

Food for thought:
Back in the old film days, we used to get prints back from the developers that had a month and year printed on the border, sometimes an actual date.  This date stamp was created and applied during the film development and printing process, not by the camera.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

My F1n has the ability to print on the film.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

diverhank
Authority

@iracanon wrote:

Hello, I just got a EOS Rebel t6, and I cannot make it to stamp the date on the photo. I want to confirm the camera does not do that, because I want to return it if it does not? Can you recommend a similar Canon that does stamp the date on the photo? Thank you.

As others stated, there is no way to do it without post processing.  Philosophically I can't understand why you would want the date on your photos...kinda ruin them for me.  But each to his/her own.

I do recognize the need to have a date on a photo so years from now you can remember.  Exif data is fine except many cheap online and offline editing programs fail to retain these after you edit and you lose the dates forever.

My solution is simple, I name all of my pictures starting out with a date when it's taken.  For example tomorrow when I take pictures at our Xmas party, my photos will be named something like 20171224_Xmas Party_001.xxx.  This is easy to do because most downloading program like Light Room or Photoshop allows you to automate this.  In the above example, all I had to do is to provide Xmas Party.  The program fills in the rest automatically.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements