cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer won't detect camera

lyssa615
Apprentice

All of a sudden my computer won't detect my Rebel XT. I replaced the USB cord but nothing is even detected in "My Computer" or in the Device Manager. I am sure that the USB ports work properly as they work with other devices.  I reinstalled the software it came with and tried changing the communication settings on the camera. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

32 REPLIES 32

New photos but the download button are grayed out.

shotbydoyle
Apprentice

I just registered to the community because I'm having this issue too and Canon's "US-based customer service" couldn't find me someone in under ten minutes, so here I am.

Rebel T6 (no, not the T6i, I have the poverty spec model)

Computer: Asus something running Windows 10 

Issue: same. Included USB cord does not connect the camera to the computer. Nothing happens when I connect them. I'm trying to install EOS Utliity so I can do remote shutter control (because for us young people money doesn't grow on trees to buy those remote shutter switches) and live view on the Asus.

Again--there is absolutely no response from the computer when I connect it physically to the camera. And I have confirmed the USB ports are functioning.

Best,

Desperate David 

@shotbydoyle wrote:

I just registered to the community because I'm having this issue too and Canon's "US-based customer service" couldn't find me someone in under ten minutes, so here I am.

Issue: same. Included USB cord does not connect the camera to the computer. Nothing happens when I connect them. I'm trying to install EOS Utliity so I can do remote shutter control (because for us young people money doesn't grow on trees to buy those remote shutter switches) and live view on the Asus.

Again--there is absolutely no response from the computer when I connect it physically to the camera. And I have confirmed the USB ports are functioning.

Best,

Desperate David 

People have problems connecting Asus laptops to stuff.  Be sure to install the Canon software.  Make sure that your camera is set to USB transfer mode, and use the cable that came with the camera.  Connect the camera, and then turn on the camera.  Make sure you have an active internet connection, because the computer just might be trying to download a driver in the background, which could take a few minutes.  Give it a little bit of time, just to be sure.

There are separate utilities for wireless connection and USB connection.  Your software may default to looking for a wireless connection.  If so, you will have to start the EOS Utility manually the first time.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Hi David,

Thanks for reaching out to Canon USA, we're happy to help!

You want to make sure the camera is powered on, and connect it directly to a powered port (not through a hub).

If your computer is a notebook (laptop) or tablet, you may need to have it connected to its power supply when trying to transfer images. Some USB ports don't put out enough power when running off of battery for the camera to be recognized properly. Similarly, if your computer is a desktop, you might dry to plug the USB cable into the back of the computer, not the front. We've found a handful of computer manufacturers supply less power to the front ports because they're running off of an internal unpowered USB hub. 

If you've tried these things, the next step would be to try a different cable. It's just a male A to mini B USB cable. If you can't find one locally, our technical support team can help you get a replacement.

Which brings us to the last option. If you've tried all of the above, the next step would be to get in touch with support. Mondays are busy, and it's lunchtime across the USA right now. Our team is available from 8am to Midnight (ET) weekdays

We hope this helps point you in the right direction!

@shotbydoyle wrote:

Best,

Desperate David 

Your protestations of poverty suggest that you may be using the "Home" edition of Windows 10. I believe that edition lacks some necessary display utilities that are present by default in the "Pro" version. Those have to be downloaded from the Microsoft site and manually installed. Alas, I always forget what they are, but the Microsoft site may tell you. Otherwise, someone in the forum with a better memory than mine can probably provide that information.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

If Windows 10 does not have the Windows Media Player installed, then you will need to install it.  You can download it free of charge from Microsoft.  Also, I have heard a rumor that you may need to enable media sharing.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

... you may be using the "Home" edition of Windows 10. I believe that edition lacks some necessary display utilities that are present by default in the "Pro" version.

Win 10 had an update to their camera recognition utility a few months back. It is installed on both my 8.1 64/Pro and Win 10 Home machines. However, even if Win 10 doesn't recognize the camera, it should recognize that there is some new hardware attached and allow the user to install drivers. That the computer doesn't see new hardware suggests to me that the problem is not with the computer or Windows.

I have the PRO EDITION, and my computer card plugged directly into a USB port won't reconize or read my card.

I have done this for years now on this very same computer and with the Windows PRO. It just isn't working and won't read my card.

HELP?

@KayHoward wrote:

I have the PRO EDITION, and my computer card plugged directly into a USB port won't reconize or read my card.

I have done this for years now on this very same computer and with the Windows PRO. It just isn't working and won't read my card.

HELP?

I don't understand what "my computer card plugged directly into a USB port" means. Cards don't plug directly into USB ports; you need a card reader. Are you using a card reader built into the computer? If not, you'd have to connect your card reader using a USB cable. Some USB cables are only for charging cell phones and lack the strands that support data transfer. The computer won't see a camera or card reader connected via such a cable.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I meant to say it is my Camera memory card plugged directly into a USB port in my all in one computer. And yes I have a card reader in my computer and I finally tried that and now my photos are downloaded. How it got turned off I have no idea unless some Windows Update turned it off. Grrrr!!!!!  I have over 6000 photos in my computer. So when this wouldn't work (for the first time ever), I was baffled.

Thanks for your imput.

KAY

Announcements