cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Computer won't detect camera

lyssa615
Apprentice

All of a sudden my computer won't detect my Rebel XT. I replaced the USB cord but nothing is even detected in "My Computer" or in the Device Manager. I am sure that the USB ports work properly as they work with other devices.  I reinstalled the software it came with and tried changing the communication settings on the camera. Does anyone have any suggestions? 

32 REPLIES 32

I have tried other USB cords though. And still none recognize my camera. Any other USB works great on my computer and and my MAC picks up anything else I plug in with a USB. 

Mine is hit/miss. I will power on/off the camera a couple of times before it is detected. I think I've also made sure EOS utility was closed completely.

--Chris

Skirball
Authority

What kind of USB cord are you using?  I have had trouble with some cords in that past (although usually it does detect my camera and subsequently drops it as soon as EOS utility loads).  I've found that only cords with filters on them (the black plastic cylinders at one end) work consistently.  I'm not convinced it's what causing your issue, but thought I'd bring it up.

I'm assuming you've turning your computer on and off, and the USB port on your computer is functioning properly?  Every once in awhile my comp won't see my camera and it's just a matter of turning everything off and on again.

Tim
Authority

Hello lyssa615,

The EOS Digital Rebel XT came out before the release of Windows 7 and no drivers are required with Windows 7.  There is a workaround for this as the camera  supports the Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP) driver that is built into all versions of Windows since XP.   The "PC Connect" communication mode on the camera wouldn't allow the camera to be connected instead it needs to be set to the PTP Mode.   

To enable this, first make sure that your camera is disconnected from the computer. Press the MENU button and then use the right arrow key to select the second "Tools" tab in the menu.  Use the down arrow key to select the item labeled "Communication" and then press the SET button.  Use the up arrow key to select "Print/PTP" and then press SET again.  Press the MENU button to exit the menu system.

At this point, you should be able to reconnect the camera to the computer, and the system should recognize it as a digital camera.  You should then be able to use the operating system's built in utilities such as Windows Live Gallery to download your images.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I have Windows 10 and this solution works.  Thanks

thank you this totally worked for me and my rebel xt with my Alien laptop. 

Crosstown
Apprentice

Try formating your memmory card first then plug into pc .

Bdarin
Contributor
Some USB cords are wired for charging only, others for charging AND data transfer. Try different cords. I have several cords, but only 1 that let's my laptop see my phone. It’s all in the way the cord is wired.

ejrschep
Apprentice

I have an  EOS Digital Rebel XTi  My Mac with os Sierra will not recognize my camera.  I have had no problems with this Mac until today.  I have not used the camera for about 6-9 months and I don't know when the last Sierra update was.  The computer does recognize when I attach the camera to the computer but it will not let me download the pictures .

@ejrschep wrote:

I have an  EOS Digital Rebel XTi  My Mac with os Sierra will not recognize my camera.  I have had no problems with this Mac until today.  I have not used the camera for about 6-9 months and I don't know when the last Sierra update was.  The computer does recognize when I attach the camera to the computer but it will not let me download the pictures .

Have you tried manually selecting the files for download?

Are these new photos?  The camera does keep track of which file have been previously downloaded.  If you wish to download the files a second time, you must manually select them.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements