cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon camera image resizing before uploading to internet

userphyo
Apprentice

I am planning to buy eos rebel t6i camera and have question on image resizing. I would like to image resize before i upload rebel photo to internet. If i image resize (to smaller image)a medium quality photo from rebel t6i(or any canon camera) and a photo from phone camera, are the resulted two photos have the same quality?

If both photos quality are the same what is the purpose of buying a good camera to take quality photos when u have to image resize before uploading to internet and the resized quality is same as phone camera.

9 REPLIES 9

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Because you have a full size image for posterity. There is more to life than the internet.

Are resized photos quality from canon camera and phone camera the same?

Unknown, too many variables.

@userphyo wrote:

Are resized photos quality from canon camera and phone camera the same?

There is no phone iPhone or Android that takes pictures with IQ that would rival a DLSR.  Doesn't matter what resolution or color depth.  Best mobile device cameras are iPhone 8 and X, and Google Pixel 2 / XL.  There is no MOTO, sony, huawei or HTC that can touch the quality of these two platforms.    

Make it easy on yourself.  Capture the photos RAW, use DPP for post processing and also to convert and save to your required image size, DPI and file specs.  This is an extremely efficient batch process.    

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

"Doesn't matter what resolution or color depth."

It does matter what use the photo will be put to, however.  Printing a 2x3 from an iphone can be just as good as a Rebel.  Printing an 8x10 you are correct.  Photos designated for FB, etc., won't matter either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"If both photos quality are the same what is the purpose of buying a good camera ..."

If you single goal is to post on the ole inner web, a good P&S will do as good of job as any Rebel.  In fact any current iphone or ipad will also produce good FB, etc., photos.  They will rival any Rebel for that purpose.  It has to do with the sensor size and the intended final use.   But is that all you want from a camera?  Because that is where it ends.

EB

I will take photos and mostly upload photos of product items to my website and maybe facebook. I want the details such as labels and buttons of items to be clear. Before uploading i will resize the photos. What is P&S. So u are saying resized images from canon and phone camera will have same quality? 

"What is P&S."

Point and Shoot, I.E., the Powershot G1x Mk II or G7 Mk II, etc.

"...u are saying resized images from canon and phone camera will have same quality?"

Absolutely not.  Not even close.  It depends on how you intend to use the photos.  The inner web reduces the needed necessary quality to where the inferior IQ of an iphone is OK. 

If you want to do product photography, you really need to get with a pro that can show you how.  Product photography has certain skills required and certain criteria.  I have done a considerable amount of it in the past.  I would probably recommend the 80D as the least camera for the task.  But I would prefer the 5D Mk IV or 1Dx Mk II, if I were to get back into it.  But it does depend on what results you are after.

EB

BurnUnit
Whiz
Whiz

For web display in general, a camera phone in the right hands can produce a better image than a DSLR in unskilled hands.

For printing and professional use a DSLR in skilled hands will produce a better image than a camera phone in skilled hands.

For online product photos I'd say you need at least a decent quality P&S (point and shoot) camera and the experience to use it to its best advantage.

Announcements