cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Sensor Product Advisory

theandies
Enthusiast

So, I just bought a T6i.  After getting it home and playing with it I thought I'd surf the net to find sites like this and just check for stuff and I came across this product advisory about the sensor.

I read up on it on the Canon site and found that my serial number is one that may be effected.  I checked the battery door for the black mark as indicated in the advisory and it's hard to tell if it is indeed marked or not.  I did register my camera with Canon.  I don't really want to send it somewhere to get checked out as I just bought it and am going on vacation and really want it with me.

Questions -

Has anyone here sent their camera in for inspection?

How long did it take - door to door?

Does Canon pay for shipping both ways?

How can I tell if I have the bad sensor myself (if there is a test)?

Thanks

John

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

amfoto1
Authority

You'll find more info about the issue at this web page.

First, look at the serial number of your camera. If the first two digits of the number are "01" or "02", then it's possible your camera has the problem. If not, there should be no problem. If yours does have a serial number withing those ranges, look for the "black dot" indicating it's been corrected, inside the battery door (illustrated at the above web page).

If you don't see the black dot... or just simply want to further confirm it's okay...

1. Turn the camera on, remove the lens and put the camera into the sensor cleaning mode (in the menus). This lifts the mirror out of the way and opens the shutter, so you can see the sensor. To inspect it visually you may need a light and magnification such as a loupe. Be careful not to touch anything in there or get dust/dirt inside the camera while doing this inspection. When done, turn the camera off to cancel the sensor cleaning mode.

2. Alternatively or to double check, simply take some test shots with the camera. Turn off autofocus and defocus the lens. Set the lens aperture to f22 (you'll need to use Av or Manual exposure mode to do this... other modes will force you to use other lens apertures) and then one or a few shots of something really plain, such as a clear blue sky or plain white wall. Inspect the test shots closely on your computer, looking for black spots.

You shouldn't need to send the camera in, unless you find a problem.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Canon says all affected cameras will be fixed without any cost to consumers, but the specifics of the replacement process are still forthcoming."

The black mark should be obivious.  But, do you see any of the dots on your photos?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

amfoto1
Authority

You'll find more info about the issue at this web page.

First, look at the serial number of your camera. If the first two digits of the number are "01" or "02", then it's possible your camera has the problem. If not, there should be no problem. If yours does have a serial number withing those ranges, look for the "black dot" indicating it's been corrected, inside the battery door (illustrated at the above web page).

If you don't see the black dot... or just simply want to further confirm it's okay...

1. Turn the camera on, remove the lens and put the camera into the sensor cleaning mode (in the menus). This lifts the mirror out of the way and opens the shutter, so you can see the sensor. To inspect it visually you may need a light and magnification such as a loupe. Be careful not to touch anything in there or get dust/dirt inside the camera while doing this inspection. When done, turn the camera off to cancel the sensor cleaning mode.

2. Alternatively or to double check, simply take some test shots with the camera. Turn off autofocus and defocus the lens. Set the lens aperture to f22 (you'll need to use Av or Manual exposure mode to do this... other modes will force you to use other lens apertures) and then one or a few shots of something really plain, such as a clear blue sky or plain white wall. Inspect the test shots closely on your computer, looking for black spots.

You shouldn't need to send the camera in, unless you find a problem.

Alan Myers
San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & EXPOSUREMANAGER 

- That link is where I found all the information in the first place but thanks for posting it for others.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements