cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel xti. Will focus, but won't take picture.

jpmackay
Apprentice
I have a Canon EOS Rebel XTi.  I haven't used the camera for some time until recently when I took it on vacation.  On vacation, it's worked fine (except for the annoying dust on the lens which I had forgotten about).  As I'm not home near a photo store, I tried to remove the dust myself.  I tried to clean everything lens-like that I could access, but unfortunately. I still couldn't remove the dust.  I see now from a youtube video that I should have cleaned a different area.  Anyway, now my camera won't take pictures on autofocus.  It seems to keep trying to focus and eventually it does, but it won't take the picture. Experimenting,  I discovered that if I focus in autofocus mode, I can focus it.  Then, if I switch to manual, it will take the picture.  Also experimenting, when I remove the lens and tap/jiggle the mirror(?) on the inside of the camera body, after putting the lens back on the camera, it will allow me to take one picture on autofocus.  After that, it returns to the current problem of not taking a picture when I push all the way down.

Any suggestions on what is wrong and how to fix it would be greatly appreciated;  I'm still on vacation and would really love to have my camera fully functioning again.

Thank you.
p. s. my current problem is not the common "busy" /not enough light problem. I am familiar with that problem.
6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

When you tap/jiggle the mirror, if it moves around, then it is likely your camera has a mechanical issue.  If the mirror does not move, then thank your lucky stars and never touch it again.  The mirror is a very delicate and precise component, and plays an indirect role in the AF system.

Should I assume that you have gone through the menus and tried to fully reset the camera back to factory default settings?  You may need to perform a reset in a couple of different places.

If your camera can take a photo in AI Servo mode, but not One Shot mode, then the camera may think that there is no focus lock.  There may be a setting in the menus that can enable AI Servo mode to be forced to prioritize focus, and  wait for a focus lock confirmation, too.  

If you are using BBF, you may need to push and hold the BBF button when you're in One Shot mode.  If you have another to lens to try, then try a different lens, in order to establish whether or not the problem is the lens or the camera body.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I have the same problem with my Canon rebel XTi. It will shoot with telephoto lenses. But it will not shoot with the 18 to 55 mm zoom lens that came with the camera. I sent the camera back to Canon and they sent it back with a different lens but it still didn't work. The body of the camera seems to be working fine. And we will shoot in AI mode.  Is it possible the electrical contacts are worn?  

Also, how do I reset to factory settings?

"I sent the camera back to Canon ..."

I doubt seriously Canon will service an XTi so where did you actually send it? I think your camera is done and is not a good candidate for repair even if Canon does still service them.

Also, how do I reset to factory settings?"

Always worth a try. It is in the menus under tools.  You can d/l a manual that will guide you step by step if you are uncertain.

Good luck.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It was several years ago that I sent to the factory.  Haven't used since, except with telephoto lens.  Retired now and trying to get it working.

You best route is to cut your loses and get a new camera.  Gonna be cheaper and less frustrating in the long run. Canon has a huge sale in its refurb store right now.

refurb sale <--- click 

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I tried to clean everything lens-like that I could access, ..."

Never ever stick anything smaller than a football inside the mirror box! Too may things in there that do not react well to being messed with.

EB
Announcements