cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel t6i

NicoleNicky
Contributor

Hello everyone. I am having troubles with my Rebel t6i. He crashes and doesn't work anymore. Even when i want to turn the camera off, it stays on and I get to see a circkle that says "recording, remaining images:1" Even when I wait for 20 minutes it will keep saying that. I have to take the battery out and then it will stop. Still can't take pictures. The camera is 3 months old . Bought it on Amazon, international version , no guaranty.I have brought the camera to a licenst repairshop, they couldn't find anything wrong with it.. 3 weeks later it doesn't work anymore.. same problem.. What do I do?? Thank you in advance. Nicky

18 REPLIES 18

Ok, now I did it again. I tried to format the card, there is 160KB in use.. even the low level format. it stays on 160 KB used. I put the camera in auto (green mode) and when I take a pic it says "busy" and that's it.. when I turn the camera off it always says "recording..

@NicoleNicky wrote:
Ok, now I did it again. I tried to format the card, there is 160KB in use.. even the low level format. it stays on 160 KB used. I put the camera in auto (green mode) and when I take a pic it says "busy" and that's it.. when I turn the camera off it always says "recording..

Seeing a small amount of memory "in use" on a memory card is normal.  Some space is used to keep track of folder names, file names, and where the data associated with a given file name is physically stored.

Okay.  If you have gone through the menus and reset the camera [you should have had to do it in at least two places, BTW] then your camera is malfunctioning and in need of repair.  Sorry, I do not know what else to tell you to do.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ok, I figured that much. Thank you again for your help.

Are these full size SD cards or micro-SD with an adapter? Canon cameras don't like the adapter.

All full size SD cards. I am a photographer and am using Canon for years now. Never had any problems with my camera's until now. I have a couple of camera's ( all Canon) and bought this rebel t6i in November.

Try to look in the card slot and see if anything is amiss. Compare to your other cameras.

Camera went to repair shop and they stated there was an issue with the electr. they replaced it and its working for now. Thank you . 🙂

@NicoleNicky wrote:
I tried another new card, formatted it and for now it's working again!! YAY!! Thank you so much for helping. I now wonder why this is happening. Should I replace cards on a regular basis?? Any suggestions?? Thank you 🙂

You're not done, yet.  If it seems to be working, then that could be good news.  But, I still think you should reset the camera, if you have not already done so.  Your camera has unknown origins.  You need to eliminate as many of those unknowns as possible.  Reset it.  Check the firmware revision, especially if it may have been used.  I don't care what the box or Amazon says about the camera.  

It is crucial that you always perform a LOW LEVEL format prior to using any new memory card.  New cards may seem to be formatted, but they are not.  What may seem to be valid formatting is actually residue from production testing, which needs to be completely erased.  Sometimes the residual formatting leads into dead ends, or infinite loops.

Should you replace cards on a regular basis?  It is good to have a spare.  Cards can fail whenever they feel like it.  If a card is not showing signs of intermittent or failing operation, then I see no reason to replace it.  It is a best practice to fully erase a card before you go out on a "big shoot", though.  Don't use the camera as a storage device for your pictures.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I did reset the camera.. 3 times already. put in a brand new card, low level format, took 1 pic and done again. not working anymore. I download my pics every day and clear out my card.. formatting too once in a while. No clue.
Announcements