cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel t6i

NicoleNicky
Contributor

Hello everyone. I am having troubles with my Rebel t6i. He crashes and doesn't work anymore. Even when i want to turn the camera off, it stays on and I get to see a circkle that says "recording, remaining images:1" Even when I wait for 20 minutes it will keep saying that. I have to take the battery out and then it will stop. Still can't take pictures. The camera is 3 months old . Bought it on Amazon, international version , no guaranty.I have brought the camera to a licenst repairshop, they couldn't find anything wrong with it.. 3 weeks later it doesn't work anymore.. same problem.. What do I do?? Thank you in advance. Nicky

18 REPLIES 18

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

While you may not be able to get a refund at this late date, you should still report your experience to Amazon.

Hopefully, your camera is using a bad memory card.  Try removing the card before the next time you turn it on.  Turn it on without a card, and see if you can enter the menus to reset the camera back to factory defaults.  

I would also buy a new memory card, too.  Try to buy a card from a local store, not Amazon.  Buy a name brand card, like Lexar or Sandisk.  I would avoid PNY Technologies, because they seem to have had quality control issues, at least in my experience.  Be sure to only buy a full size SDHC card.  I recommend 32GB  Never use a microSD card with an adapter.  The microSD cards should only be used in devices that use them directly, because the adapters are highly unreliable.

Finally, be sure to perform a low level format, while it is in the camera, on the memory card prior to first use.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for your response.

I did get a new card, even bought a new battery. It workt fine for a week or 2 after being at the repair shop. it won't take any pictures and won't turn off unless i open up the battery cover.

@NicoleNicky wrote:

Thank you for your response.

I did get a new card, even bought a new battery. It workt fine for a week or 2 after being at the repair shop. it won't take any pictures and won't turn off unless i open up the battery cover.

Good, you have bought a new card.  That's just a start.  What brand of card?  What is the storage capacity?  If you bought the card on Amazon, then there is a distinct possibility that it is no good.  Buy a new one, like 8 to 32 GB.     

Try the rest of my suggestions that I listed, beginning with removing the card, and turning on the camera so that you.can try to reset.  Try formatting a NEW memory card in the camera after you have reset the camera.  Never use that "new" card you said that you have already bought again.  I have already told you that your existing card is suspect.

I bought A Lexar 32gb card, and I did all the above that you suggested.The card is not from Amazon. bought it in a camera store.

I tried another new card, formatted it and for now it's working again!! YAY!! Thank you so much for helping. I now wonder why this is happening. Should I replace cards on a regular basis?? Any suggestions?? Thank you 🙂

Oops.. I was too quick. it took one pic and isn't working anymore.. was a completely new card..

@NicoleNicky wrote:
Oops.. I was too quick. it took one pic and isn't working anymore.. was a completely new card..

Not good news.  Have you tried to reset the camera, yet?  What does "isn't working" mean?  What is the camera doing?  

It sounds like your camera is possibly defective and in need of repair.  But, we cannot be certain of anything until you go through all of the steps to eliminate other possibilities: i.e.; like operator error.  Certain modes of camera operation can make it seem like it is malfunctioning, when it is not.  

Well, when I take a pic it focuses as it should. When I take the pic the display stays black and doesn't show a thing. the red light on the right side stays on.. the one that blinks when you put the camera on or put in a new card. then when I try to turn the camera off, a circle appears on the display that says " recording... remaining images 1. it will not turn off unless I open the batteryholder cover.

@NicoleNicky wrote:
Well, when I take a pic it focuses as it should. When I take the pic the display stays black and doesn't show a thing. the red light on the right side stays on.. the one that blinks when you put the camera on or put in a new card. then when I try to turn the camera off, a circle appears on the display that says " recording... remaining images 1. it will not turn off unless I open the batteryholder cover.

The camera may not be fully reset.  The camera has shooting modes where it collects multiple images, and combines them into a single final image.  Go through the menus, and disable anything that says "HDR" or multiple exposure.  

What shooting mode is the camera in?  Use the green <A> mode, for now.  This mode should disable all of the more exotic features and functionality in the camera body.  

Announcements