cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Rebel T2i autofocus

Fdmcgady
Contributor

The autofocus on my Canon Rebel is not as sharp as it should be. I have tried different lenses and get the same result. The autofocus works but not as sharp as it could be. Any suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@Fdmcgady wrote:

I see on Amazon that the 80D is $1,100 - the 70D is $800 and the 50D is $400

I would never buy anything from Amazon more costly than a paperback.  But, I know lots of folks who swear by Amazon.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-kit-refurbished

How does $849 for an 80D with 18-55mm STM lens sound?  One year warranty from Canon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

View solution in original post

18 REPLIES 18

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Can you get it sharper if you manually focus? Is it sharp in Live View?

How are you determining sharpness?

If you can manually focus it to be sharper (at the same focus point!) and live view focuses sharply, you have to send it back to Canon for an adjustment with your lenses.

But be careful, it is very easy to get fooled here.

I usually don't shoot in Live View - its easier to shoot without wearing my glasses.

I determined sharpness by how clear printing is on someone's shirt. I take pictures of students in school and I found that my iPhone was getting better results than my Canon.

I just did a test - AF both with and without LV and manual with and without LV. The best result was manual without LV.

I did a second test with the maual settings for light being equal and got different results - I think the AF without LV is the best so maybe the focus is fine and its the settings that are throwing it off. I have to look into this more.

If you wear glasses, and you're not getting sharp focus in the viewfinder, you might need to adjust the diopter to get the clearest photos. 

First, do try using Live View, to see if the camera focuses properly in Live View. It uses a different focusing system in Live View. If this works, your lens is fine.

Then, put the camera in the GREEN auto mode, and put the lens in AF mode. Make sure you have plenty of light, and your subject is an easy subject to focus on - something a normal person would photograph, not a piece of paper, or a plain white wall. 

Looking at the viewfinder, you'll see a little "gear" or wheel just to the right of the viewfinder. That's the dioptric adjustment. Remember where this is, you'll need it in a minute! 

Diopter.JPG

Put the camera up to your eye, and push the shutter button halfway down until you hear the focus confirmation beep and you see at least one AF point light up. Is your red focus point blurry to you? Is your scene blurry? If so, adjust that little wheel to the right of the eyepiece until it becomes clear, and try again. If your prescription is too strong for the dioptric adjustment, you may find that you need to get a different eyepiece that accounts for your vision. We make those, too!

You can learn about the Diopter on page 36 of the manual, HERE.  

First of all - using the diopter in itself was amazing - It made a huge difference looking through the viewfinder - everything is sharp - wow - thank you. 

I did a test using a flash and w/o a flash (though the same settings) using AF and manual both with LV and w/o LV. The best overall was manual LV though it was very close to manual w/o LV - the AF was not as sharp.

@Fdmcgady wrote:

I determined sharpness by how clear printing is on someone's shirt. I take pictures of students in school and I found that my iPhone was getting better results than my Canon.

What was the camera focusing on? Which little dot lit up?

Remember, your DSLR will have much less Depth of Field than the iPhone.

The subject was indoors about 10 feet away using a flash - it probably focused on the group (4 people).

"probably" isn't good enough. You have to pay attention to what focus point lights up. Again, it is easy to get fooled.

I have been testing this and have found that the manual focus - either with LV or w/o is giving me better results for sharpness.

Announcements