cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon Eos Rebel T5I LCD Shuts Down After 30 Minutes

VIICTIIM
Apprentice

I've been trying to use my canon DSLR to broadcast a live podcast (the camera is sort of my webcam & my capture card captures the lcd screen on the camera), but the problem is, after 30 minutes, the LCD of my camera shuts off even if the auto-off function is disabled entirely. The battery is always fully charged and it always happens after 30 minutes of my camera being iddle. Anyone know how I set up my camera so it doesn't shut down like that. I've looked everywhere but no one seems to have the same issue as I do. Thanks a bunch!

6 REPLIES 6

jrhoffman75
Legend
Legend

Page 186 of your manual:

2018-01-13.png

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

So even though I am not recording, I can't just let my camera open for more than 29 minutes & 59 seconds? Is there a way to bypass or do I have to buy an entirely new camera to do what I want to do?

@VIICTIIM wrote:

So even though I am not recording, I can't just let my camera open for more than 29 minutes & 59 seconds? Is there a way to bypass or do I have to buy an entirely new camera to do what I want to do?

Your camera is designed to capture still photographs.  It just happens to have hardware that is capable of recording short video clips.  The keyword here is short.  If you need longer video clips, then purchase a video camera or camcorder.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I had the same issue. I have a Canon EOS 600D. The only solution I found is that just before you hit the 30 minute mark, just press the shutter buttor (half shutter) and it will still continue recording without a hitch. I guess you must do this every 30 minutes.

payday0023
Apprentice

Or..... an even easier fix! Keep the camera in Manual Photo mode (M). You can still adjust your video feed in all the good ways: focus, iris, ISO,color prfile, White Balance (no shutter though, you cana djust the exposure time which will effect the lightness of the image but I'm not posistive you'll get an video shutter adjustment). Remove any overlays so that it's a clean HDMI feed and roll on your HDMI output that way. Since you aren't recording to the SD card in the camera and just using it for its video signal it doesn't need to be in Movie Mode.  I had a roll go for over 95 minutes this way with an uninterupted HDMI video capture. Internal temp never went above 55C. Good luck!

You can't remove the overlays on a rebel

Announcements