cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel XS wont take a picture

lstout
Apprentice

Help!  I can not figure out why my camera won't take a picture.  I have a card in it, and have it on auto and am not in dim lighting and everything looks to be set ok - but it will not take a picture.  I have had this same experience one time before with a card with higher memory in it and it did not like the card - but thats not it either - so I am just not sure.  After experimenting I did find out that if it was not in AF it would take pictures - but what can I do to get that working again?   Any advice? 

13 REPLIES 13

My issue is exactly the same - and my camera will try to work when it is in AI Servo as well.  It is unfortunate that there are no longer parts to fix these - however I understand that there are new and improved cameras out there.  Thank you for your response. 

@aspenpaul2 wrote:
Somewhat it trys to focus when in AI servo. If you stop the auto focus at the firght moment it will be in focus. Sometimes it keeps going in and out trying to get it set.

There is a possibility that your AF sensor is dirty. 

The AF sensor is below the bottom of the mirror box, inside the camera.

With the camera in sensor cleaning mode (read your manual) the mirror will lock up and you should see holes at the bottom of the mirror box. The AF sensor is under those holes. Using a bulb blower (do not use canned air) blow air into those holes to clear any dust from the AF sensor. Some people use a flexy straw extension on their bulb blower to get a better angle to blow air into the holes. Note the main image sensor is also exposed while doing this so be sure to make sure it is clean and free of dust also before finishing. 

aspenpaul2
Contributor
Thank you! I'll try that for sure!

aspenpaul2
Contributor
Thanks if I decide to go with another camera I will try this. Thank you for your help.
Announcements