cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel XS wont take a picture

lstout
Apprentice

Help!  I can not figure out why my camera won't take a picture.  I have a card in it, and have it on auto and am not in dim lighting and everything looks to be set ok - but it will not take a picture.  I have had this same experience one time before with a card with higher memory in it and it did not like the card - but thats not it either - so I am just not sure.  After experimenting I did find out that if it was not in AF it would take pictures - but what can I do to get that working again?   Any advice? 

13 REPLIES 13

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@lstout wrote:

Help!  I can not figure out why my camera won't take a picture.  I have a card in it, and have it on auto and am not in dim lighting and everything looks to be set ok - but it will not take a picture.  I have had this same experience one time before with a card with higher memory in it and it did not like the card - but thats not it either - so I am just not sure.  After experimenting I did find out that if it was not in AF it would take pictures - but what can I do to get that working again?   Any advice? 

Sounds like you are trying to take a picture of something that doesn't have adequate contrast for the camera to focus on. If you point the camera at white wall and try to take a picture, it can't focus on anything, and wont take a photo.

@TTMartin wrote:

@lstout wrote:

Sounds like you are trying to take a picture of something that doesn't have adequate contrast for the camera to focus on. If you point the camera at white wall and try to take a picture, it can't focus on anything, and wont take a photo.

And the same thing can happen if you're closer to the subject than the minimum focusing distance of the lens.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thank you Robert - however that doesn't seem to be the problem.  I made sure that I was in different light and that i had different things to focus on both near and far and outside and inside.  I also don't get a busy notification.  It just looks normal but won't take pictures.  I would love to figure this out if anyone can help.  Thank you!   

I  just posted about my XS having a similar problem. Mine won't work anytime the autofocus has to work. But if I switch the lens to manual mode or I use AI Servo I can get a fire, but otherwise it acts busy. I've also tried different lenses and the problem continues. My best guess is that I have a problem internally in the camera. But I can cross my fingers and hope for a miracle.

thanks!  I will follow your post to see if anyone has any other ideas and hopefully there is another fix!  🙂

For anyone having Auto Focus issues these videos by Canon USA's Rudy Winston are worth watching:

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 1

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 2

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 3

They are a few years old and the model names have changed, but, it doesn't change the validity of the basic information.

@aspenpaul2 wrote:

I  just posted about my XS having a similar problem. Mine won't work anytime the autofocus has to work. But if I switch the lens to manual mode or I use AI Servo I can get a fire, but otherwise it acts busy. I've also tried different lenses and the problem continues. My best guess is that I have a problem internally in the camera. But I can cross my fingers and hope for a miracle.

Are the photos you take while in AIServo in focus?

aspenpaul2
Contributor
Somewhat it trys to focus when in AI servo. If you stop the auto focus at the firght moment it will be in focus. Sometimes it keeps going in and out trying to get it set.

Hi Aspenpaul2,

Thanks for posting.

Because the service life for this camera has expired, Canon no longer offers the parts or service required to resolve this issue.  I regret the diffficulty this causes,

You may wish to participate in the Canon Loyalty Program. This program allows you to replace your current camera with a new Canon camera for a discounted fee, and have it shipped via Ground delivery. Refurbished cameras may also be available.

The replacement camera offered through this program includes a one-year limited warranty. The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided.

If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8:00 AM to Midnight. Let them know you have been working with email technical support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered. Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements