cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS Rebel T5 Question

JMORRIS58
Contributor

I have a Canon EOS Rebel T5 & an older Canon EOS Rebel SLR camera.  My question is whether is is advisable to use the lenses from my older Rebel on the newer Rebel T5 & whether the external flash from the older Rebel can be used on the newer Rebel T5.  Any input would be appreciated.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

@JMORRIS58 wrote:

The flash is a Canon Speedlite 200E.

I Googled "Canon Speedlite 200E" and found an article indicating that the 200E is at best minimally compatible with even a Rebel Xti, a considerably older camera. So it looks as though a newer flash may be a good idea.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Assuming the older lenses are in working order, and not a source of mold and mildew, I see no reason not to use your old lenses on the Rebel T5.  You might want to look at a lens upgrade, though.  Lens quality has improved dramatically in recent years, most especially Canon's "STM" series of lenses.  One of my favorite lenses is also one Canon's least expensive, the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM.

You did not mention what brand of flash, but if it is a Canon flash, then it should work on a T5.  If it is a third party flash, depending upon the age of the flash, it may or may not function as expected.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thank you for your response.

The older lenses are in good working order & no signs of mold or mildew.  I just wanted the option of using the lenses if needed.    

The flash is definitely  a Canon flash that I got with the older EOS Rebel.  I will definitely use it then, until I purchase a new one.

@JMORRIS58 wrote:

Thank you for your response.

The older lenses are in good working order & no signs of mold or mildew.  I just wanted the option of using the lenses if needed.    

The flash is definitely  a Canon flash that I got with the older EOS Rebel.  I will definitely use it then, until I purchase a new one.

What's the model number of the flash? There's a good chance that somebody here has used one and could tell you what problems, if any, to watch out for.

Bob

@JMORRIS58 wrote:

I Googled "Canon Speedlite 200E" and found an article indicating that the 200E is at best minimally compatible with even a Rebel Xti, a considerably older camera. So it looks as though a newer flash may be a good idea.

Bob

Thank you! I will be investing in a newer flash.

Mr_Fusion
Enthusiast

Yes you can, however, there are always those caveats to a general question.

Any EOS lens will fit a Rebel camera. When my wife bought me my first Rebel XT, I used the lens from her old Rebel film camera. (The AF lenses I used on my Canon film cameras do not work) The exception are a line of newer lens designed for cropped frame cameras. These lenses are the EF-S series and may only be used on cropped frame cameras. All other EOS (EF) lenses may be used on either full frame or cropped frame. 

The problem with the older Rebel lenses, that are mostly discontinued, is they use a smaller front glass. That means they can't gather as much light. In turn, that makes them slower. Newer lenses are far superior in speed and also clarity. You may not notice the quality looking at your shots. A new lens will make such a huge difference though. 

Generally, your lenses will last you 15-20 years for a good lens and camera bodies last 5-6 years. (Roughly) Buy a lens that will still be a good lens for when you upgrade to your next camera. You can buy new or refurbished lenses (and bodies) from the Canon Store. A link is at the bottom of the page. 

Thank you for the info on the lenses. I will certainly check into the newer or refurbished ones from the Canon Store.

Thank you all for this forum...it had helped me sooo much
Announcements