Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 400d flashes BUSY and won't let me upload pics to PC

kleshnia
Apprentice

Hi,

I have Canon EOS 400D.

When i plug it in to my PC to take pictures out it turns on and flashes BUSY, and my PC won't recognise the device. So i can't take pictures out of my camera.

This has never happened before. What can be the cause and how to fix it?

Thank you

5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

No idea what the problem could be.  Can the camera take pictures without being tethered to a PC?  The regular way?  

When you say "PC", do you mean a Windows PC?  What OS?  What software and version?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Mr_Fusion
Enthusiast

I assume you mean you can't down load the photos to your PC and this is a sudden problem. 

If your computer has a card reader the remove the card and put it directly in the computer. If you can d/l the photos that way then you know it isn't the card. 

Try a different USB outlet on your computer and/or a different computer. Windows should be able to read the card as a separate drive on any computer. This would rule out the USB port on the computer.

Try a different USB cable. They do fail frequently. 

And lastly, boot the camera. Pull the battery and let it sit for a few days or a week. When you put the battery back in the time / date should need resetting. Try d/l the photos then. 

The 400D is an old camera. It might be time to step up to something newer. In America, this was called the XTi. Canon USA Support will probably not support this if it is gray market or bought off shore.

Good luck.

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

I assume you mean you can't down load the photos to your PC and this is a sudden problem. 

If your computer has a card reader the remove the card and put it directly in the computer. If you can d/l the photos that way then you know it isn't the card. 

Try a different USB outlet on your computer and/or a different computer. Windows should be able to read the card as a separate drive on any computer. This would rule out the USB port on the computer.

Try a different USB cable. They do fail frequently. 

And lastly, boot the camera. Pull the battery and let it sit for a few days or a week. When you put the battery back in the time / date should need resetting. Try d/l the photos then. 

The 400D is an old camera. It might be time to step up to something newer. In America, this was called the XTi. Canon USA Support will probably not support this if it is gray market or bought off shore.

Good luck.

The reason for advising a user to take out the battery is to make sure that everything is fully reset. It's also recommended to remove the date/time battery (a small battery whose main purpose is to keep the clock running), to prevent any possibility of its interfering with the full reset. The reason for letting the camera sit for a few days is that some cameras use a built-in capacitor instead of a date/time battery, and the capacitor has to be allowed to discharge. But the 400D does have a date/time battery that can be removed, so letting it sit for a few days is unnecessary.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Then I stand corrected. I have a 350D (XT) which does not.

Tim
Authority

Hello kleshnia, 

If you are unable to make a connection to your computer as some have suggested then another option to consider is a plug and play card reader. They're relatively inexpensive and card readers make it easy to download images straight from the card to your computer.  This would bypass the need to have to connect your camera to the PC.  

If the issue persists we might ordinarily suggest service, but this model is out of service life. When equipment is out of its serviceable life Canon no longer manufactures parts required to perform potential repairs. 

Since we're unable to service it, another option would be the Canon Upgrade Program. The Canon Upgrade Program allows you to replace your non-functioning product. All refurbished equipment offered through this program carries a full one year limited warranty.

If you'd like to take part in the Canon Upgrade Program please call our Pre-Sales and Accessories department at (866) 443-8002 seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Please have the serial number of your product at the time of your call.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.
Announcements