cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon EOS 350D does not see memory card--I've tried two different ones. Will not format--err 99

Hardin
Apprentice

My EOS 350d has not worked since it was shipped to my daughter.  Bought new memory card and camera still does not recognize that a card is in it.  When connected to computer I could see card but it had 0 used memory and 0 memory available.  Now it does not show at all.  Using canon software get same response--no memory card.  Have tried with two different memory cards.  Even formatted one card on PC, still nothing.  Any ideas what to try next--pins look like they are all in correct place.

6 REPLIES 6

fyigmo63
Enthusiast

Did you try to format the memory card from the camera as well?

It gives me an err 99.  Camera does not recognize card at all.

Which memory card are you trying to use?  Please provide full name and manufacturer.

Lexar 2GB CompactFlash Premium 80x

SanDisc Ultra CompactFlash 30MB/s 4GB

Unfortunately, the Error 99 code is not a specific error code and can indicate a number of issues, such as battery power issues, shutter issues, etc.  The more I looked into the 350D and memory card compatibility the more I think that may not be the issue.  In all honesty, I'd contact Canon support as you may have to send your camera in for repairs. 

Before doing that, though, I'd try this. Restart your camera, wait a few moments then set the camera's power to Off and remove the batteries.  Open the memory card slot cover to make sure the memory card is securely set in the card slot, then reinsert the batteries and turn the power to On. Hopefully that will do the trick, and if not I'd update the firmware for the camera as a last resort and see if that rectifies the problem.  If not, contact customer support.

JBH
Apprentice

Since I just had a SD card / camera issue to have deal through the canon rep told me that sometimes the camera's internal card reader mechanism (you know where you put your SD card in) goes bad. 

Announcements