cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1300d flash doesnot popup but it makes flash.

Jujharsangha
Contributor
Hi i just bought a new camera and its flash is stuck as it doesnot just pop up , when i took it into dark , i could see the light of flash coming out even when the flash was in shut position . Thus the flash is working but doesnot pop up . I have used my nails and tried to force it out but it is struck very badly that it dorsnot come out. Please help
5 REPLIES 5

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Is this a used ("new to you" but not "new") camera ... or is this really a "new" camera (no previous owner) purchased from an authorized Canon dealer?  If it really is "new" then you should be able to exchange it ... or if it's been too long for an exchange then it should be covered by warranty.

The pop-up mechanism is a simple spring on the hinge.  What keeps the flash from popping up is a small catch-hook which holds it down when you are not using it.

To raise the flash, rotate the mode dial to one of the "creative zone" positions such as "P", "Tv", "Av" or "M".

Then press the button with the small lightning bolt icon (on the 1300D this button is located on the top of the camera body near the mode dial).  

This causes an electronic solinoid to release the catch-hook and the spring should naturally raise the flash.  You may hear a tiny click & buzzing sound (that's the sound of the solinoid pulling back on the catch-hook).  If you hear the buzzing sound but the flash does not pop-up then something is jamming the flash.  This can be caused by dirt or grime in the hinge, etc.

If this happens, you would want to clean the hinge.  DO NOT lubricate the hinge with oil... that oil will only attract more dirt & grime and may leak into the camera interior.  You really just want to clean it.  You can use a few (emphasis on "few") drops of denatured alcohol (because the alcohol can help break up whatever is causing the flash to stick and should evaporate ... leaving no residue behind.)

You can encourage the flash to raise by gently lifting it when you hear the solinoid buzz to retract the catch hook.

If you do not hear any clicking or buzzing sound and the flash does not raise when you press the flash-release button (the button with the lightning bolt) then your solinoid might not be working.  Camera must be a mode that gives YOU control of the flash (such as P, Tv, Av, or M).  Full automatic modes do not give you control over use of flash.  But if it is in the right mode and you don't hear the camera is at least trying to release the flash, then the camera requires service.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Jujharsangha
Contributor
It is new camera i just unboxed it. And they just refused to replace it. Please help. The light makes a flash as i can see it in dark room . But the flash is not poped out. And is stuck so hard that i even used my nails to pluck it out but was unable to do so.

@Jujharsangha wrote:
It is new camera i just unboxed it. And they just refused to replace it. Please help. The light makes a flash as i can see it in dark room . But the flash is not poped out. And is stuck so hard that i even used my nails to pluck it out but was unable to do so.

If you are using a 1300D, then you are probably not in the US.  Contact Canon Support.  Make sure you have a sales receipt.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Jujharsangha
Contributor
Atleast can i get a solution? I am a canon customer.

@Jujharsangha wrote:
Atleast can i get a solution? I am a canon customer.

We can't answer that; we're not Canon. Waddizzle has told you exactly what you need to do if you want satisfaction from Canon. But neither he nor the rest of us can make you do it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements