cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1300D lots of noise (even with low ISO)

Robin4321
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm having big issues with my CANON 1300D. As the title says, I'm having a lot of noise in most of my pictures even if the ISO is at 200.

For example that picture (beside the fact that it's overexposed, it's a good example) :

IMG_0760_compressed_cropped.jpg

There it's cropped a little bit then you can see it clearly :

IMG_0760_compressed_cropped2.jpg

It's 10 times worse than my smartphone.

It does the same thing with both my lenses so it doesn't seem to come from there.

I had the same issue before with a compact camera I bought, I resetted it and for some reason it solved the problem but there it doesn't...

At the moment I'm traveling and it's a bit frustrating to take pictures with my smartphone lol so I hope you can help me there! 🙂

66 REPLIES 66

@Robin4321 wrote:

I don't understand though because I used to have a compact camera I was taking lots of really nice pictures with it without knowing about all those settings...

Unfortunately if you use some of the advice you are getting here like keeping your camera at ISO 100 you'll just get even more frustrated.

For example the sunny daytime photo below was taken using Auto ISO which set the camera to ISO 400.

Bactrian Camel

A00A4246.jpg

6/28/2017, Canon 7D Mk II, EF 100-400 L IS II, 200mm, 1/1000, f/5, ISO 400.

As I said in my previous post. 

With a dSLR technique becomes much more important. Never hold the camera in front of you using the rear LCD like you would a cell phone or point and shoot camera, instead use the optical viewfinder. Learn to hold the camera properly keeping your elbows close to your body. Until you learn more about photography don't be afraid to use the scene modes (portrait, landscape, sports, etc) or even the full green square auto mode.

Learn how your autofocus system works:

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 1

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 2

Those videos may seem boring, but, they are invaluable in your growing from a snapshooter to a photographer. 

Some more photos from the same day all taken using Auto ISO.

This time the camera did choose ISO 100
A00A4102.jpg

6/28/2017, Canon 7D Mk II, EF 100-400 L IS II, 400mm, 1/1000, f/5.6, ISO 100

These next photos again in full sun the first two the camera chose ISO 320 and in the last one it changed to ISO 250
A00A3945.jpg

6/28/2017, Canon 7D Mk II, EF 100-400 L IS II, 400mm, 1/1250, f/5.6, ISO 320

A00A3946.jpg

6/28/2017, Canon 7D Mk II, EF 100-400 L IS II, 400mm, 1/1250, f/5.6, ISO 320

A00A3948.jpg

6/28/2017, Canon 7D Mk II, EF 100-400 L IS II, 400mm, 1/1250, f/5.6, ISO 250

Unfortunately, with the Internet it is hard to know who to listen to. And even worse when you have someone offering bad advice and cutting someone like me down claiming that because I have technical knowledge that I'm just an Google expert who doesn't know how to take actual photos too. On top of that he already knows that isn't true, but, hopes to mislead you with his malarkey.

" I'm just an Google expert..."

Perhaps I give you too much credit there too. 

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" I'm just an Google expert..."

Perhaps I give you too much credit there too. 

Perhaps you are correct because twice in this thread you've said to use 'Average WB', and I have no idea what you are talking about.

There is Auto White Balance, and Average Metering, but, I've never heard of Average WB, nor has Google.

To deal with your apparent infatuation with me, you may want to make use of the "Ignore" feature of the forum.  You'll be happier!  It's easy to do.  Smiley Happy

Have a nice day.

EB

Hi guys !

I see you've having a bit of fun over there xD

Anyway, I took a few random pictures around to see what goes wrong with the camera and I'm still not too sure what it is yet.

I decided to post 3 of them. All these pictures is pretty much the best I can get from my camera (with good light, low ISO and fast aperture). I didn't get to take pictures with a stand because I don't have one at the moment.

All of them have obviously been compressed to post them here but I looked at them after being compressed and there isn't a big change with the non compressed ones.

There is a picture of a rooster I took, I think it's pretty much the best I can get out of my camera (talking about details):IMG_0736_compressed.jpg

I find the quality fine, but not as good as I would expect.

There is a picture of a bottle of juice, this is a good example of when it's not as "blur/noisy" as most of the time :

IMG_0683_compressed.jpg

As you can see, that kind of picture that I take with my camera close to the subject is usually not bad compared to the others. This is the kind of quality I would expect for most of my pictures in good light.

This is a picture of a landscape as you can see, it's the best I can get for a landscape picture, which I find not satisfying at all (this one is quite ok because the light was nice but usually it's even worse) :

IMG_0689_compressed.jpg

I think your camera is fine.  Likewise, the photos are fine, and the landscape shot is magnificent.

Like I said above, you're looking at the best that you can get out of an older lens design.  If you had a much lower resolution camera, you would not be seeing "noise" in your photos.  Quit pixel peeping.

Try buying a better lens, and you will quickly see what I mean.  The EF 50mm f/1.8 STM is a great bang for the buck lens.  It is fast, and much sharper than your kit lens.  Using it can teach you a lot about photography.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Robin,

What gear do you have exactly?  I know a Rebel T6 and a EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens?  Plus you also have the EF 75-300mm f/4-5.6 III Lens?

Did you happen to buy one of the packages from Amazon or like store (Costco, etc).  You had to use two different lenses for your samples. In the rooster shot you might want to put the focus point on the bird's eye.  That will help.  You used the center focus point which is good.

In the landscape you focused on the tree line.   This will tend to make the foreground slightly OOF.  In the juice shot you focused on the label.  This shot is your best.  It shows what you can expect all the time.

I, too, agree with the previous post, your camera is fine.  To make it better with what you have, is up to you.

But, please, tell me, what gear do you have exactly?  Camera (T6) and lenses?  Smiley Happy

EB

What lens / lenses are you using?

Just as using too small an aperture (large f/number) can affect image quality, so can shooting a consumer lens wide open. Except for Canon's L lenses, you typically want to shoot one stop down from wide open for maximum image quality. So had your rooster been shot at f/5.6 instead of f/4 I think you would have gotten better results.

The orange juice bottle also could have benefited from a smaller aperture like f/8 instead of f/4.5 as the depth of field in that photo just looks too shallow for the subject matter.

And as already mentioned by another poster your landscape taken at f/10 looks fine.

Robin,

Let's examine the shot of the juice.  Here is what you used; T6, f4.3, SS 1/125, ISO-640 and 30mm focal length.  On the EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens at 30mm, f4.5 it is wide open.  Rarely are any lens at their best wide open but this shot is pretty good.  WIth lens correction applied in ACR and a little clarity added this is what it looks like.  Plus this is a 100% crop of the focus area just so you can see what you have. 100% is considered pixel level.  Pretty tough scrutiny in anybodies book.

edit.jpg

This brings us to your technique. For instance stopping the lens down just one stop might make this shot even sharper.  For this type shot a tripod would also be of benefit. You could drop the ISO down a bit.  From ISO-640 to under ISO-400 might make this shot a bit sharper.  I think you really need to just learn what you gear can do.  Use it a lot and watch and learn what works. Also think about adding a post editor like PS Elements.  Most of all, have fun with it.  Great shots will come.

I guarantee it.  Smiley Happy

EB
Announcements