cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 1300D lots of noise (even with low ISO)

Robin4321
Contributor

Hi everyone,

I'm having big issues with my CANON 1300D. As the title says, I'm having a lot of noise in most of my pictures even if the ISO is at 200.

For example that picture (beside the fact that it's overexposed, it's a good example) :

IMG_0760_compressed_cropped.jpg

There it's cropped a little bit then you can see it clearly :

IMG_0760_compressed_cropped2.jpg

It's 10 times worse than my smartphone.

It does the same thing with both my lenses so it doesn't seem to come from there.

I had the same issue before with a compact camera I bought, I resetted it and for some reason it solved the problem but there it doesn't...

At the moment I'm traveling and it's a bit frustrating to take pictures with my smartphone lol so I hope you can help me there! 🙂

66 REPLIES 66

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@Robin4321 wrote:

Hi everyone,

I'm having big issues with my CANON 1300D. As the title says, I'm having a lot of noise in most of my pictures even if the ISO is at 200.

For example that picture (beside the fact that it's overexposed, it's a good example) :

IMG_0760_compressed_cropped.jpg

There it's cropped a little bit then you can see it clearly :

IMG_0760_compressed_cropped2.jpg

It's 10 times worse than my smartphone.

It does the same thing with both my lenses so it doesn't seem to come from there.

I had the same issue before with a compact camera I bought, I resetted it and for some reason it solved the problem but there it doesn't...

At the moment I'm traveling and it's a bit frustrating to take pictures with my smartphone lol so I hope you can help me there! 🙂

You appear to be confusing out of focus areas with noise.

You used an f/18 aperture, this causes diffraction, and reduces image quality.

With a crop sensor camera you don't want to stop down past f/11 and ideally want to use f/8.

Also what 'Picture Style' are you using?

Here is the photo with some post processing to adjust exposure and add some sharpness and vibrance, but, WITHOUT any 'noise reduction'.

original (5).jpg

TTMartin -> I don't use anything yet in most of my pictures I just take them and like them the way they are.

@Robin4321 wrote:

TTMartin -> I don't use anything yet in most of my pictures I just take them and like them the way they are.

Picture Style is a setting in the camera, not a program.

Standard is best if you are not going to do any post processing.

I'm not seeing noise either, though I'm viewing it small on my phone. Definitely not sharp in places though. 

Are you selecting juat one AF point (the center one is usually the most accurate) or are you letting the camera pick several af points out on its own?  Better you pick one and you keep it over the subject.  Also don't do focus and recompose unless you are stoped down a lot, though you were stopped down in these. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ScottyP ->

"Also don't do focus and recompose unless you are stoped down a lot, though you were stopped down in these. " -> What do you mean by "recompose" and "stopped down" there ?

"Are you selecting juat one AF point (the center one is usually the most accurate) or are you letting the camera pick several af points out on its own?" -> I didn't change anything about the AF point, I haven't found how to set it so far, I'll have a look if it can change something.

I don't understand though because I used to have a compact camera I was taking lots of really nice pictures with it without knowing about all those settings...

@Robin4321 wrote:

ScottyP ->

"Also don't do focus and recompose unless you are stoped down a lot, though you were stopped down in these. " -> What do you mean by "recompose" and "stopped down" there ?

"Are you selecting juat one AF point (the center one is usually the most accurate) or are you letting the camera pick several af points out on its own?" -> I didn't change anything about the AF point, I haven't found how to set it so far, I'll have a look if it can change something.

I don't understand though because I used to have a compact camera I was taking lots of really nice pictures with it without knowing about all those settings...

Recompose refers to focusing, and then turning the camera slightly to reframe the shot without refocusing.

If you feel your shots are out of focus, then you should familiarize yourself with how AF systems work in DSLRs.

Many small cameras benefit from being able to focus at hyperfocal length distances, due to their small size and sensors.  But, there is no such thing as a free lunch, and the price is a loss of details.

I haven't looked at the EXIF data, but it looks to me as if you are using the 18-55mm lens that came with the camera.  Your shots are typicall of what that lens is capable of capturing.  

Describing the images as "noisy" is pretty accurate.  A much lower rsolution camera would not pick it up.  Every lens has resolution ceiling.  The camera kit lens must have a ceiling under 10 MP.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Robin4321 wrote:

ScottyP ->

Yes the the small cameras and the smartphones have tiny image sensors.  This tends to work to give them a large depth of field in focus, with nearly everything from the foreground to the background being in focus. The downsides are they are noisy in low light (though they may do noise reduction to soften the image to hide that) and they are less able to give you a shallow depth of field when you want it.

With a larger sensor like that of a DSLR focus becomes more important and a bit more more complicated. They are designed with an AF system comprised of multiple AF points spread out across your viewfinder that can grab focus. In default mode the camera decides what to focus on and might pick anything under any of those AF dots.  You want to tell the camera what to focus on so that thing/person will be sharp and typically then a lot of other stuff will be out of focus.  

That is often a desirable look though, as it isolates your subject while blurring away distracting background or foreground details.  You control this by selecting one AF point and putting that point on your subject.  Your manual will show you how and there are a couple ways but there should be a small button on the top or back of your camera with a symbol like a checkerboard that activates the selecting mode then you turn the master dial near the shutter release to toggle through the AAF points, and you select the one you want with the set button. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@Robin4321 wrote:

As everyone has mentioned, point and shoot cameras have small sensors which means they have a large depth of field making most everything in the photo acceptably in focus. They also automatically apply a lot of processing to the photos that you may or may not want to have.

With a dSLR technique becomes much more important. Never hold the camera in front of you using the rear LCD like you would a cell phone or point and shoot camera, instead use the optical viewfinder. Learn to hold the camera properly keeping your elbows close to your body. Until you learn more about photography don't be afraid to use the scene modes (portrait, landscape, sports, etc) or even the full green square auto mode.

Learn how your autofocus system works:

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 1

A Look at The Canon Autofocus System Part 2

Those videos may seem boring, but, they are invaluable in your growing from a snapshooter to a photographer. 

Announcements