cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot update firmware

sufisamwise
Contributor

Hello, I'm new here as well as new to Canon digital cameras, so please bear with me. I just purchased this Canon Rebel T6, and am trying to update the firmware  using the firmware update file that is found on the Canon website. I found an instruction for installing this update, which says "Copy the firmware update file to the first window that appears when the SD card is opened (the root directory). I assume that the root directory is the one that contains the two subdirectories "DCIM" and "MISC." When I try to paste the file into that directory, I get this message: "Cannot copy CCF17110.FIR. You do not have permission to create this item." I have no idea why it does this, but I've been searching high and low trying to find a solution, coming up with nothing. The SD card is not locked. I am using Windows 10 Home edition.

I want to get the firmware updated before my Digital Photography course begins in a few weeks. Does anyone have insight into why I cannot update the firmware, I would truly appreciate your help. Thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

That's rather strange, because the card should be formatted to the FAT32 file system, which I don't think has read and write permissions. When you look at it through a card reader, does it appear to have, say, NTFS file permissions? If so, reformat it to FAT32. Then reformat it again in the camera to create the folder structure that the camera expects.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Hello Robert,

Thanks for responding. I checked the card and it was already formatted to FAT32, and had no errors.

Additionally, in looking at the software - EOS Utility - it appears to have a function for updating firmware. But when I tried using it, it stopped working. Much of the time, the program simply won't open. When I can get it to open, it won't pair with the camera. It keeps trying to pair with the camera using Wifi, even though I have connected it using a cable. I'm not sure how to change that - there doesn't even appear to be any option to do so...

Very confusing...

@sufisamwise wrote:

Hello Robert,

Thanks for responding. I checked the card and it was already formatted to FAT32, and had no errors.

Additionally, in looking at the software - EOS Utility - it appears to have a function for updating firmware. But when I tried using it, it stopped working. Much of the time, the program simply won't open. When I can get it to open, it won't pair with the camera. It keeps trying to pair with the camera using Wifi, even though I have connected it using a cable. I'm not sure how to change that - there doesn't even appear to be any option to do so...

Very confusing...

Wired connections won't work if WiFi is turned on.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Yeah, I thought that might be the case, but am still looking for instructions on how to disable it. Been at this pretty much all day, ready to give  up.

Well, I found the setting for WiFi, and it was already disabled.

Curiouser and curiouser.

Who knows why it wasn't working before... I didn't change any settings, and all of a sudden it started working. The firmware is now updated.

Must have been gremlins...

Take the card out of the camera, and you should be able to write to it just fine.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements