cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannon T3i...editing question...lighting

Korrie
Apprentice

I have a t3i Rebel...and I know how to view a photo, and then zoom it in and move it around on the screen. But for the life of me, I can not figure how to save that image once you get it like you want.  SURELY theres some way of doing that, or what would be the point of that feature?

ALSO....took pics of my daughters 1st HS cheerleading game.....and I took great pics during the day, but once the flood lights came on, all my pics were blurry...suggestions???

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

Although some cameras do allow in camera editing do it on your computer. You get to zoom in & inspect to check IF it was in focus & worth keeping vs deleting it. As for shooting in low light YES it's a challenge & requires better (faster) lenses & higher ISO's & careful technique. You may find some info in this thread helpful re the blury photos

http://forums.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/I-want-to-get-a-flash-for-my-Canon-Rebel-XS-for-inside-spor...

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

ScottyP
Authority
I agree with getting the 85mm f/1.8 lens. It is the cheapest acceptable-quality solution for the gym shooting. You can get them for under $400.

The blur comes from too slow a shutter. I would set the camera to Tv (Time Value) which is shutter speed priority, and I'd try setting shutter to 1/200th to see if that is fast enough to stop the action. It might not stop a flying cheerleader, but it should be enough to freeze one doing a slower part of the routine. I agree to set the ISO to 800 but to see if you can make it work lower, like ISO 400 for better image quality. The camera will automatically open the aperture up to its widest possible setting. You will have to experiment in the actual place though. Good luck!
Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I have a t3i Rebel...  and what lens?

"...  but once the flood lights came on ..."  Assuming a night football game?

Even with the "kit" lens that comes with a T3i, you should be able to get some acceptable shots at a well lighted football field.

Take your camera off Full Auto. Set your ISO pretty high. A T3i can go to 6400, even higher, but 800 or 1600 will produce better photos.

I think Av would be a better choice and set it to the widest opening of your lens. You will automatically get the fastest shutter speed the camera can do. If you find the light is adequate, you can increase the Av value for more in focus (DOF) photo.

But remember as you increase the Av, the "blurry" will return.

The key here is to try different settings and not rely on the green square!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements