cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get my camera to focus

Mghnickell
Contributor
Hi y'all,. I'm new to photoboothing and I can't figure out what setting I put my Canon Rebel T5 on so that everyone stays in focus and don't come out blurry. Can someone please give me some pointers ?
22 REPLIES 22

Mr_Fusion
Enthusiast
Just my 2 cents, but don't go manual. My rational is when people are moving around between pictures you can't waste time re evaluating each exposure.

Second, either adjust your lights or move them back.

Third, I would use a tripod and remote. You want a spontaneous photo so make it semi posed and part spontaneous. A remote allows you to talk to them as you go. BUT, a remote is not essential and you can do well with a hand held.

Fourth, with a T5 and 18-55 lens, I would move the camera back until you are at 55. Slight telescopic give better portraits. Less flattens the subjects.

Fifth, set the aperture to 7.1 to 8.0 That will allow some depth of field and give some shutter speed.

Sixth, you may use up to ISO1600 on the T5 if necessary. 800 is better and 400 even better still.

Seventh, if your subjects move, I would try to keep the shutter as close to 200 as possible. Again, using a remote and tripod helps here.

Eigth, I would set the control to either Av (aperture) or Tv (shutter) over any preset mode. By setting everything as above, that leaves your lighting as the last variable. Find a happy medium that works and dont stray.

I apologize if I'm over long. Most of this stuff I don't even ponder, it just comes automatic of what I'll get with any adjustment.

@Mr_Fusion wrote:
Just my 2 cents, but don't go manual. My rational is when people are moving around between pictures you can't waste time re evaluating each exposure.

Fifth, set the aperture to 7.1 to 8.0 That will allow some depth of field and give some shutter speed.

Seventh, if your subjects move, I would try to keep the shutter as close to 200 as possible. Again, using a remote and tripod helps here.

Eigth, I would set the control to either Av (aperture) or Tv (shutter) over any preset mode. By setting everything as above, that leaves your lighting as the last variable. Find a happy medium that works and dont stray.

Just wondering, how do you go about setting both "fifth" and "seventh" using either Av or Tv as mentioned in "eight"?

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

That is the setting range you want to be in, or, what I would want to be in. I wouldn't even suggest that there is some law that requires those settings.  They are the values that through experience I have come to start with. I numbered them like that as when I do it, I don't actively think. Most is an automatic response of knowing what the reaction to an adjustment will be for me. 

Most people think of the three legs or variables when posing an indoor shoot. They are aperture, shutter speed and ISO. Those are all fine and dandy, except, especially indoors, we can add a diffent variable in the amount of light we use. By adjusting the artificial light (strobes, flash, flood, etc) we can keep the subject reasonably lit without over or under exposing. At the same time, you also want some depth of field and avoid movement blur.

I will generally use Av priority so if there is some adjutment in light values, the camera will compensate automatically without the need to recheck everything. Manual would require a more complete check. I prefer Av inside as it is easier to control my DOF whereas the shutter speed is much more minor, provided there is limited movement or it is set high enough. And do do a camera lighting check. If the Av is set, you can still vary the ISO and / or the light in order to reach a desired shutter speed.  

When all the variables are known and stable, we can predict the result with more accuracy. Like a school photographer, he sets up once, takes a test shot and once happy, will shoot from a few hundred to a couple thousand shots, without any adjustment, by using the same pose for everyone.

Don't think of adjusting your ISO as the limit in lighting. Even shooting outdoors I will occasionally use reflective panels to increase my subject light. The important part is what values you set the camera to in order to get the desired shot.

Announcements