cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get Rebel t6i Infrared Remote to Work - yes, it's on the right setting

PhotoJenn
Contributor

For the life of me I can't get any infrared remote to work with the Rebel t6i. I've tried with 2 different t6i camera bodies (thought the first one was faulty so I returned for a replacement). Tried with 5 different remotes.

I set the DRIVE MODE to 10sec/REMOTE

Does not do anything. Ideas??

16 REPLIES 16

ScottyP
Authority

10 sec remote is a delay timer so you can press the button and then run around and get in the photo. 

The camera uses the popup flash as a master to trigger compatible speedlites off camera set to slave. 

The infrared is something you can use if you have a Speedlite acting as master with slave speedlites off camera. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I'm using an IR (infrared) remote that says it's supposed to work with the t6i. This is the 5th such remote I've tried. I can set it up over wifi with the APP so I can set off the shutter with my phone but I'd rather not go through all that.

The manual says if you put it on the 10sec/REMOTE setting you can use it with a wireless remote.  My daughter says it works fine on her t3i.

IMG_3418.JPG

Ooooooh. Got it.  

Be be sure the infrared sensor on the front of the camera just beside the shutter button can see the infrared signal. If the lens is blocking your shot at the camera there could be an issue.

If the IR unit is a Chinese knockoff it might just be defective. 

Does se anything happen at all?  Does the Amber IR sensor light on the camera light up?  Does the camera try to focus?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

I'm holding the remote 2" from the sensor, nothing happens.

5th remote, 2nd body this is happening to.

You're comparing the two cameras.  Is this being doen side by side?  Same shooting modes?  Similar subjects?  Put the camera in manual focus mode, using the center focus point.  Do you hear a focus beep confirmation?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

What IR remote do you have?

Setting the camera to a 10 sec delay should have no effect either way.  It should not be required.

Two things that do effect an IR remote is bright daylight or the lens not achieving AF.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

It's not a 10 second delay if you use it with remote. It's the correct DRIVE setting to use with REMOTE or DELAY, so says the manual.

No focus beep, no shutter click. Nothing happens. Maybe the t6i just doesn't work with a wireless remote. IDK if that's the case, I need to return it.
Announcements