cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't download images to a network drive

helpdesk
Contributor

EOS Rebel T2i directly connected to a PC running Windows XP. The PC shows it is connected to the camera as well as our network drive. The preferences are set to download each picture taken to the network drive. This has been the case for a couple of years and it works just fine. Now out of the blue it stopped working. There is a message "No more shot is available". If we change the setting to putting the image on the desktop then it works fine. The network drive has 30TB free space so it is nowhere near being full. We have tried going to other network drives but get the same result.

16 REPLIES 16

A clean install did not resolve the issue. I did a complete uninstall including registry entries yet the problem is still with us. We can save to the desktop of the computer but not to any of the drives on the network. The people in the lab need the pictures to be on the network drive so that they will be included in our system backups. I agree that something changed but so far it remains a mystery as to what.

superimposed
Contributor
What OS runs your network server? Does the XP machine control an external drive or do you have a server machine running another OS that the XP is saving to? You may need to double check your XP "allowed" programs on your firewall settings. You haven't elaborated on what network changes occured. I'm not referring to the specific details but if permissions have changed on the network server, they may prevent you from saving the files or it is a "read-only" directory now. You may need to contact your systems admin to look up these details for you. Let us know what's going on, you got me curious 🙂
Music, Photography, Art, Everything Beautiful

The change made to the network involved moving the folders the photos were being stored in to a different server. We need the photos on a storage device as it gets backed up on a regular basis. I put a shortcut, on the PC desktop, to the photo folder on the network drive. As it works now a photo is taken and stored in a folder on the PC desktop. The user can drag that folder to the shortcut I created and the photos will move to the network drive. Because of this shortcut we do not believe permissions are the problem. As a workaround this is ok but the people in the lab got used to having the photos stored on the network drive automatically. It worked that way in 2012, 2013, and the first few weeks of this year. I will be looking into using a different PC, sometime next week, to see if that solves this.

I also think you need to look at what may have changed on your system.  As I do not believe this is a EOS Utility issue either.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

One solution would be to use Lightroom to import your images... It can put the image into both a folder on your computer and copy it into a backup such as a network drive automatically.

The problem is, I don't think the more recent versions of Lightroom will work with an XP operating system.

There are undoubtedly some other applets that can download the images and put them where you want them, besides EOS Utilities and Lightroom. Those are just the ones I'm most familiar with. The biggest issue is probably going to be finding XP compatible s'wares.

Alan Myers

San Jose, Calif., USA
"Walk softly and carry a big lens."
GEAR: 5DII, 7D(x2), 50D(x3), some other cameras, various lenses & accessories
FLICKR & PRINTROOM 

Petrosy
Apprentice

I'm having the same problem, but with the 5D mk II (though there was no related topic in that section). At first the mapped network drive showed 9999 available shots and over time decreased despite removing images from that folder regularly. The folder also has ample storage so there should be no reason the counter should go down. I tried creating a different folder on the server to map to, mapping the folder under a different drive letter and a combination of both after various restarts. Will try to reformat the camera next.

No changes were made to either the camera nor the mapped network folder other than rearranging folders within it for organization purposes.

I have the same problem with a 6D.  Tried EOS 3 and it still will not work with a network drive.  Tried this on 3 different PC's and none worked with anything other than C or a USB drive.

Announcements