cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera won't focus in AF or MF

lucygibert03
Apprentice

I just ordered my Canon EOS Rebel t6 this past week and I have not even gone outside with it but I was playing with it too figure out how it works. I added an extra lense (Commander 0.43x Auxiliary Wideangle Lens) to the lense that comes with the pack (Canon 18-55mm II Lens) and after taking it off, the camera will not focus in any setting I put it in. I have not tried to clean it and I even reset all settings to manufacturer. Nothing works! Please help!

10 REPLIES 10

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Sounds like you broke the lens. Is it the STM version of the 18-55 or the USM? Tell us exactly what is written around the inner lip of the lens.

EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS II Lens

lly3988
Rising Star

Do you know that there is a switch on the lens AF/MF ? The 18 55 kit lens does not support full time manual focus. If it is in AF mode and you rotate the front manual focus ring, the gears inside will break.

Go to youtube and you will find a lot of videos relating to this problem and some solutions.

Buy a better lens if it breaks.

When I put the extra lense on the 18-55 lens, the camera will focus again. It is when I take it off that it stops?

Look at the various threads here, you probably need to "pop" the lens focus assembly back into place,

@lucygibert03 wrote:

When I put the extra lense on the 18-55 lens, the camera will focus again. It is when I take it off that it stops?

The auxiliary WA lens probably increases the effective depth of field and makes the focusing problem less noticeable. What others are telling you about a lockup of (and possible damage to) the lens's AF mechanism is very likely correct.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@lucygibert03 wrote:

Remove the auxiliary lens, and try to forget where you put it.  Take the camera outdoors, on a bright sunny day, and set the camera to the Green [A] mode.  Make sure the lens switch is set to AF.  Focus on stuff that is more than 10-15 meters away from you.  If you have a second Canon lens, then try that lens two.  Use the viewfinder, and try to hold the camera still.

If your camera still does not focus properly, and take sharp pictures, then something could be wrong with it.  Contact Canon.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@lucygibert03 wrote:

Remove the auxiliary lens, and try to forget where you put it.  

That wasn't a typo.  Those "lenses" that are really focal length multipliers that screw onto the front of your real lens... are garbage.  

Toss it in the bin.  

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Remove the auxiliary lens, and try to forget where you put it."

You can remember you put it in the trash can.  As long as the trash is picked up and taken to the city dump.  I suspect you have caused the real Canon lens to slip a gear.  If you are lucky that is, if not the lens is probably broken.

Try this first.........in your manual.

Capture.JPG

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements