cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel XS saying busy and won't take pictures

mliz2486
Contributor

My camera worked fine the other day.  Now, it won't take pictures at all.  When I go to take a picture, it will act like it is focusing by flashing and such but it will never go through.  It always says busy.  I have tried all modes, and none will work not even without flash. 

I have also taken the battery out, taken the card out and reformatted it, and cleared all camera settings.  Can anyone help?  I have a newborn that I would really like to be able to capture. 🙂

Thank you ahead of time!

156 REPLIES 156

Thelay
Contributor
My current card is kingston 8gb (class 10). No still not working.

1. Take out the battery.

2. Take out the card.

3. I use Hepa Jet ll and blow air into card and battery slot with camera held upright and openings on the bottom so if there are any specks, they fall out.

4. Put the battery back in making certain it is fully charged. Are you using Canon brand or other brand?

5. Put the card back in and format it IN THE CAMERA.

6. Remove lens and put it back on.

7. Check to make certain lens is set to AF and not MF. Click it back and forth a couple times between AF & MF.

8. Try a different lens.

9. Try different settings on your camera i.e. (green) A+ and P and see if that makes a difference.

10. Check menu to see what firmware version you have... mine is 1.0.4   Update yours if need be.

11. Just a random shot in the dark, make certain you haven't changed your focus to "back focus". I have one camera I use this feature on and one I just use regular "push the shutter release button part way to facus".

That's the list I would use if I were you and then take it to a camera repair shop in person and see if they have any further suggestions.

NOTE: Some people subscribe to the shake the camera in an extreme manner and shout out various $#&**%$ words. I have not found this technique to work in fixing the camera but it feels like one is at least being pro-active. YMMV.

I'm just going to piggyback on this topic rather than create a new one.

I have a brand new Canon EOS Rebel T5 with the stock  EF-S 18-55mm IS lens. While shooting outside on a lightly cloudy day, in manual focus mode, I constantly (maybe 1 in 5 photos) get a "busy" message along with the flash symbol. This lasts for about 5 seconds, just long enough for me to miss my shot.

I have removed the battery, cleaned everything, reformatted the memory card, etc...still the same error message. 

I would really appreciate some help with this, as I said, it's not even 5 days old, so I really hope it's not malfunctioning already.

Thanks in advance, Canon gurus!

Did you read the part about the quality of card you are using? The reason I keep bringing this up is because all it took was for me to change to a Class 10 card formatted IN THE CAMERA for my camera to work flawlessly with hundreds of images taken each week.

Also check with another lense.

I'm currently using a class 10, 16gb SanDisk SDHC card whch was fomatted in the camera.

I sadly do not yet own another lens, as I said, the camera is less than a week old. I'm shopping around for a 70-200mm f2.8 lens, but have yet to find the perfect deal. Once I have one, I will try it out, but am reluctant to buy one if the camera is broken...

ps thanks for the fast reply! 😃

If you can find a camera store, take your camera in and "try out" one of their lenses on your camera to see "if you like it".

Go to a pawn store and see if they have any canon lenses that are compatible with your camera and "try" on of those.

Have you tried contacting Canon directly since your camera is sooooo very new (color me green with envy) and asking their service department?

The card you have is EXCELLENT! Do you happen to have another card to test in it anyway?

Also check the menu and using the manual, try some different combinations of settings.

Check to see if there is already a firmware update for your camera. Sometimes these come out quickly to address various bugs.

That is a fantastic idea about the lens, I will do that ASAP. That'll help me finally decide on a prime lens too! 

I have a 64gb class 10 microSD card with a SDHC converter that I can try out too, I just assumed that it would be slower than mine as it requires a converter to work. However, I'll pop it in and take a few low-light shots just to test it out. I checked for firmware updates too, but it appears to be fully updated.

I should probably also contact Canon customer service, I'm just procrastinating over it because I spent 5 days (no exaggeration there) on the phone with Amazon customer service just to get the darn thing. You're right though, I think the solution to my problem is stop being lazy, Michelle, just call them.

Good luck.

By the way, it would really add to this discussion if you report back in with the solution you found...without spending another 5 days on the phone with any tech support. 🙂

I discovered that the lense wasn't correcty inserted in the camera. You couldn't see anything to indicate a problem. A friend who have an EOS checked the camera and now it works find.

Excellent. What a relief. Way to go! Now your solution can help others.

Announcements