cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

EOS Rebel XS saying busy and won't take pictures

mliz2486
Contributor

My camera worked fine the other day.  Now, it won't take pictures at all.  When I go to take a picture, it will act like it is focusing by flashing and such but it will never go through.  It always says busy.  I have tried all modes, and none will work not even without flash. 

I have also taken the battery out, taken the card out and reformatted it, and cleared all camera settings.  Can anyone help?  I have a newborn that I would really like to be able to capture. 🙂

Thank you ahead of time!

156 REPLIES 156

If swapping to another lens works, at this point the original lens you were using will need to be evaluated by our Factory Service Center.

To start the service process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

I got my camera yesterday and I am having this same problem, I tried going in different lightings and using the live view mode, but it will still only take pictures in the manual focus setting.

Hi pogostick!

Thank you for posting and welcome to the forum.

Here are a few things you can try:

1.  Remove the lens, then clean the electrical contacts on the lens and camera using a soft microfiber cleaning cloth.

2.  Set the AF/MF switch on the lens to MF, turn the focusing ring back and forth, then set the switch back to AF.

3.  Try an alternate lens.

Do any of these allow a picture to be taken with autofocus?

What camera and lenses are you using?

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

Some great suggestions here... Thanks to all taking the time to reply.  I am going to print all and work with camera... hoping SOMETHING is the answer.

Having a similar issue - but somewhat different.

I have a Canon Rebel XS - about 3 years old. Last week I was in Yellowstone - taking pictures of Mammoth Hot Springs - one moment the camera was working fine - then it stopped working.

Now - the "busy" message constantly appears in the view finder . . . but the camera wll not take a picture. The AF seems to work (it does focus and beep) - and the flash pops up . . . but it simply won't take a picture (inside or outside). What is different from the other people who have posted here with a similar problem - is that my camera will also not take a picture with the MF option - and the back video display is no longer working at all (for either looking at past pictures taken or by disaplying info in picture taking mode) . . . it is just completely dark.

Any ideas would be appreciated!

Hi syst0aac!

Welcome and thanks for joining.

In this particular case, your camera will likely need to be serviced by our Factory Service Center.  To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.  You may also participate in the Canon Loyalty Program.

The Canon Loyalty Program option allows you to replace your current camera for a discounted fee.  The original non-functioning camera would then be returned to Canon USA for recycling using a prepaid shipping label that would be provided.  If you would like to take part in this option, please call our Sales Department at (800) OK CANON (800-652-2666) seven days a week, 8am to Midnight.  Let them know you have been working with online support and the Canon Loyalty Program was offered.  Be sure to have your serial number for your camera at the time of your call.

I just got a used Rebel XS, and thought it had a similar problem to some of the ones in this thread.  I updated the firmware, but that did not fix it.  Then, I read in the manual that the red light means it is writing data to the memory card.  I had put in a 32 GB micro SD card, inside of an adapter.

I switched the micro card for a 4 GB one, and now everything works just how it should!  Maybe my card was bad, or maybe it just isn't compatible.  

Hope this helps someone.  I was frustrated for a while. 

Peace!

Now I'm scratching my head.  Acting really strange again.  Blank screen sometimes.  Red light, pictures nto showing, won't take new ones.  All 3 batteries say they are charged.  Maybe it worked good for a few days cause the batteries were newly charged by some other charger than the cheap one I got from Amazon?

I'm getting the wall socket adapter in the mail soon, hopefully that will answer the question if its my charger... 

Hope I didn't buy a lemon.  Peace!

MadR13d,

Although using an adapter and a Micro SD card should theoretically work, the camera was not designed to be used that way and may not function properly.  Try using a standard sized SD card in the camera.  If the issue persists with standard SD cards, the camera will need to be serviced.  To start the repair process, you'll need to complete a Repair Request on our website.

My camera is doing the same thing and I experienced this 6 months ago. I started pushing all sorts of buttons and now I do not know what the basic settings should be. Can anyone guide me through how to set my camera for auto photography?

Announcements