cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera saying busy and not taking pictures

BubblesVonD
Apprentice

I have a Rebel T3i

When I go to take a picture, it will act like it is focusing by flashing, clicking and such but it will never go through.  The screen will go black and then the view finder says busy.  I have tried all modes, and none will work not even without flash. I have tried different lenses, AF and MF mode, switched batteries....and then the red light stays on even after turing off the camera.  

This just started happening, it was working fine and then bam!

8 REPLIES 8

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@BubblesVonD wrote:

I have a Rebel T3i

When I go to take a picture, it will act like it is focusing by flashing, clicking and such but it will never go through.  The screen will go black and then the view finder says busy.  I have tried all modes, and none will work not even without flash. I have tried different lenses, AF and MF mode, switched batteries....and then the red light stays on even after turing off the camera.  

This just started happening, it was working fine and then bam!

Have you tried a different memory card?

BubblesVonD
Apprentice
Yes, and my memory card works fine in my friends camera.

Some of the things you describe don't make sense (e.g. "screen will go black").  There can be many reasons for the behavior you are seeing which could be completely normal (for example... if someone enabled "mirror up" mode... or if someone set to a Manual mode or Tv mode but set a very long shutter exposure time.)

Can you give us more of a step-by-step break-down?

What mode (mode dial) is the camera set to (full auto?  Program?  etc.)

Are you using "One Shot" focus mode or "AI Servo" focus mode?

Have you selected the focus point or are you allowing the camera to use all 9 focus points?

How's the lighting?  Are you outside, inside, etc.?  

Does the mode setting displayed in the upper left corner of the shooting information screen (on the LCD) agree with the mode that you've selected on the mode dial?

The general/broad advice that may fix the problem is to reset the camera back to factory defaults.  If you press the menu button and navigate to the yellow wrench tab with 3 dots.  On that page you will see a couple of options... one is to "Clear all settings" and the other is to "Clear all custom functions".  I would reset both and let us know if that solved the issue.

After the reset, make sure the mode dial is set to a safe mode such as full auto or Program mode and test the camera.  If that works, then you should be able to resume shooting in any mode you want.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I do not have the yellow wrench with 3 dots.  No matter the mode it does the same thing. 

I turn on the camera put it on auto mode, take a picture, the red light on the bottom comes on steady, the pic number flashes.  No picture comes up, nothing if you press the playback button.  You can do this 3 times before the screen goes black and the finder says busy.  Thye entire time the red light is steady, after this happens you have to take the battery out and in before you can turn the camera back on to the screen.  You can use the functions, playback, settings what not as long as you do not try and take a picture.Hoever if you put it on video then you just get a gray striped screen. Also if you are in screen mode you get nothing but black screen.

Sometimes the only way to correct a problem is by sending it in for service.  But sometimes we can reset the camera back to working behavior without needing to send it in.

From your descriptions, it sounds like there's enough strange and wonky behavior (there is no 'setting' that would cause a striped screen in video mode -- so there's really nothing to 'reset' to correct it) that you probably need to send it in.

Occasionally, removing the battery and leaving the battery out for several days can correct problems only because many models have an internal battery (not the main battery) that preserves the date/time and settings (the main batterry recharges the internal battery).  On some models there is a coin-sized battery for this and that battery can simply be ejected for a minute and popped back in.   I don't have a T3i but I don't *think* it has the coin battery (so you'd need to leave the main battery out for a few days to hopefully clear the small internal rechargeable/non-removable battery.)

But if that doesn't clear things up for you... it probably needs a trip to the service center.  Usually Canon can't provide a quote over the phone because they don't know what needs to be done until they have a chance to evaluate it (so they have to have the camera before they can provide the quote.). This, of course, assumes your camera is beyond the 1 year factory warranty period.

Sometimes the repair cost is high enough and the camera's age is old enough that you are better off replacing the camera then repairing it.  But if this happens, ask Canon... they have a loyalty upgrade program and the old camera body is worth a discount toward a replacement body.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

My T3i is having the exact same issues.  Red light stays on, camera busy until I pop thebattery and striped screen in video mode.  Where you able to fix your camera?

Thank you,

K.

Hello kate3, 

There are a few troubleshooting steps I'd like to help resolve this issue. We'll reset the camera, which should restore it to a default state. These steps should clear out the memory and thereby any errors which may be present.

- Anything attached or installed in the camera — memory cards, the lens, the battery, battery grips should all be removed.

- Once the lens is off let's check it using the steps below.

a) Clean the lens contacts* to restore connection with the body.

*Warning - Do not clean lens contacts on either a Canon lens or the camera body with an eraser! It's easy to rub off the gold plating on these contacts and end up with data communication problems! Our strong recommendation is to use a soft, clean, micro fiber cloth. Please do not use anything abrasive.

b) Try using a different Canon EF series lens. It doesn't have to be the same focal length as the one you were using.

c) If you are using a third party lens, we recommend discontinuing its use. There can sometimes be communication error related issues with third-party lenses. Ensuring that you're using a Canon lens eliminates that as a potential factor in the error.

If the issues seem to persist the next step would be to send the equipment to Canon for service.  You may fill out an online repair request form at the following link to setup your repair using our online service.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/service-repair

Did this answer your question? Please click the Accept as Solution button so that others may find the answer as well.

BubblesVonD
Apprentice
No, I was told it was the memory board. I ended up having to buy a new camera
Announcements