cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camera misbehaving after switching lenses

Crica
Apprentice

Hi,

I recently got new lens for my old Rebel T1i. The previous one is a 18-55mm, the new is a 70-300mm. The new lens is great and works perfect. But my old one started to "misbehave" after switching back to it. It won't focus right away, and sometimes not even shoot! I'd have to zoom in/out until getting to work again. It sounds like it has to "readjust" back to the camera.  Am I doing anything wrong with the switching? I'm very carefull there's no dust around while I do that, so I have no idea of what/why  is happening. I'd appreciate any help someone can offer. Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

If the lens is old, then it could be jealous of the new lens.

Switching lenses should not affect the lens performance.  Just make sure to power the camera down when you change lenses.  I know how hard it can be to remember to power down the camera to change lenses, because most of the time I am in a hurry when I do it.

Not powering down the camera to change lenses is a recommended best practice.  Not doing seems to harm nothing, but Canon would not make the recommendation without good reason.  It gives your older camera [a chance] to "reboot" itself, too, [with the new lens installed].

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"If the lens is old, then it could be jealous of the new lens"

I had that thought too, lol

I always have the power down...

John_SD
Whiz

@Crica wrote:

Hi,

I recently got new lens for my old Rebel T1i. The previous one is a 18-55mm, the new is a 70-300mm. The new lens is great and works perfect. But my old one started to "misbehave" after switching back to it. It won't focus right away, and sometimes not even shoot! I'd have to zoom in/out until getting to work again. It sounds like it has to "readjust" back to the camera.  Am I doing anything wrong with the switching? I'm very carefull there's no dust around while I do that, so I have no idea of what/why  is happening. I'd appreciate any help someone can offer. Thanks!

Misbehaving? This kind of behavior can only be attributed to a poor upbringing. However, the lens sounds too old to expect much in terms of "readjustment," so it may be time to cut it loose and adopt a new and better behaved lens. 

It sounds like my lens has "expire"? Never thought of that.
Ohhh... that makes me sad... I'm attach to it 😕
Thanks for your reply.

I had a problem like this, and started to make sure that the camera was off before changing lenses. It seemed to happen when I left the camera on.

But I always turn it off... 😕
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements